Keep it cool

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main man

Reaction score
It's already getting warm here in Northern California. In my first year of wine making, I wanted to bulk age my wine through the summer in car boys in a central bathroom of my house that has no windows and a slab floor. I thought that space would stay cool enough for bulk aging. The first two months the room stayed at a steady 68 but now it is hitting 75 in the day time. I wondering what people have done to cool a small space for storing up to 6 carboys? Today I'm going to try an evaporative cooler in the room but I'm concerned about keeping it topped up with water. I don't want to run my central all the time due to the cost. Any ideas on other things I could do to cool that space?

I'm toying with the idea of building a space out in my garage and adding a window mounted cooler to keep that space cool. Does anyone have any good plans, specifications, dimensions, designs etc?

It's already getting warm here in Northern California. In my first year of wine making, I wanted to bulk age my wine through the summer in car boys in a central bathroom of my house that has no windows and a slab floor. I thought that space would stay cool enough for bulk aging. The first two months the room stayed at a steady 68 but now it is hitting 75 in the day time. I wondering what people have done to cool a small space for storing up to 6 carboys? Today I'm going to try an evaporative cooler in the room but I'm concerned about keeping it topped up with water. I don't want to run my central all the time due to the cost. Any ideas on other things I could do to cool that space?

I'm toying with the idea of building a space out in my garage and adding a window mounted cooler to keep that space cool. Does anyone have any good plans, specifications, dimensions, designs etc?

@NorCal will be happy to link you to his air conditioned box assembly he built in his garage, he's also in Cali. As far as the temps getting into the 70's, it's not a giant concern, but lower is better. Worse than the temp is the fluctuation. If you temps are ranging from the mid 60's to the mid 70's on a daily basis, you should try to eliminate that. Something steady in the low 60's would be ideal.

It’s crazy that it’s been 6 years since I made the wine box, but click on the link to see it is from its genesis. It has worked like a champ, although the original AC unit gave it up last year. A quick trip to Walmart solved that problem, which is the beauty of using a standard wall mount AC unit. Where in NorCal are you?

Last edited:
I'm in Palo Cedro outside of Redding. You wine box is great! I thinking about one half that size and with one of the GE 5000 btu units
with the thermostat. Would you change anything on the design of the interior? Also, I'm still looking for suggestions on how to cool my bathroom/storage space. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back