Keep 54 Liter Demijohns warm for MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
Hi All!

I always had issues with stuck MLF and I think its due to the cold temps in my basement. What does everyone here use to keep 54L demijohns warm during MLF?

Thanks!

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
Fermenting in my kitchen! :) What kind of MLB are you using?
VP41. I wish I could use the kitchen but my wife would kill me :) I wanted to try a product like fermwrap but do not see any options for 54L Demijohns

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Do you keep it on a concrete floor?
I ended up positioning my demi’s closer to the heat register that I cut into and stole for the basement, kept them off the floor, undid the wicker tops and squeezed in a layer of blankets/towel/rotten cotton/ whatever I had laying around really. Just to add a thermal insulating layer. Between that and moving em near the duct I was able to maintain a little higher temp. And not coincidentally noticed all the tiny bubbles a couple days later. Good luck man

Reaction score
My two 14.5 demijohns and one six gallon carboy are in the basement (unheated in northern Massachusetts on the NH border). I keep them on wooden boards so they’re up off the concrete floor. I tossed some (3) brew belts around them — just laid loosely among them. Not wrapped around. Then I tossed an old blanket on top. I use vented silicone bungs, so they don’t get in the way like fermentation locks would. I stashed a temp probe under there with everything and hooked the whole shebang up to a temp controller. Holds everything at 72F no problem with ambient hovering between 38 and 50.