Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went out just before dark to gather eggs, way back to the house i thought I'd check the propane tank, pulled the lid up gauge said 45%, cool i thought, it's a 500 gallon tank, put the eggs in the sink, went to wine room, stirred the ferments and started to the bedroom , just happened to notice it was a might cool, yup,, i get to buy a new gauge when i buy more propane Monday, 😁
Dawg

Why Karma? Did you short change anyone recently? :eek:
Why Karma? Did you short change anyone recently? :eek:
no, I'm warm blooded, the propane my brother uses a year is 3 to 4 ties as much, the propane mom and dad uses a winter, would last me 5 to 7 years, my brother has three tanks a 500 a 250 and a 110, my parents has a 1000 and a 500, and my 250, i only use my 500, they were talking today about propane reaching $1.99 a gallon. i teased them, calling them spawn of Satan, all that had happened just a short while before,, i went home all three households are within 450 yards of each other with the next closest neighbor is 3/8th of a mile away, well now comes the embarrassing part,, after trying in vain to light the pilot light earlier, i kicked back and started this thread, don't know why,, but i did,,, now a few hours after posting this thread i remembered that i had some 15 bean soup in the crock pot, on all day on high, so just while ago i put my leg on , washed my hands and went to the kitchen and turned the crock pot on low, and started back to bed, now when i had washed my hands i had turned on the hall light on ,,an I'd left the cover off, so heading back to bed for a early evening , (gulp) as i stepped in to the now lighted hall way,, I saw that i had turned the knob not to light pilot light ,,, but to off, so to my Sai grin, i turned the knob to pilot counted to 60 and pushed the Stricker and the pilot came right on, my furnace for some reason blows out the pilot light a couple three times a winter, so this moron (me) is kicked back all warm but very embarrassed,,,
Dawg :slp

Dawg,

You might want to get that furnace checked out. Pilot lights don't just go out once in a while, there is a reason for it. One and the big one is it could be a cracked heat exchanger. Others, weak thermocouple, dirty pilot, propane regulator not working properly, and a bunch of others. For safety make sure the heat exchanger is not compromised. Arne.

oh i just remembered, ,how is that mead experiment going ?
Dawg
QUOTE]

You'll need to remind me which experiment? If it was the quick pomegranate mead, it went well but finished very dry - and never stabilized it so never backsweetened it. I gotta say that I really prefer my country wines to be around 1.010 - 1.015 in the bottle. Grape wines can be bottled even below 1.000 and they still have a good perception of sweetness, in my opinion. Something about table fruit that calls for a sweeter finish.

Dawg,

You might want to get that furnace checked out. Pilot lights don't just go out once in a while, there is a reason for it. One and the big one is it could be a cracked heat exchanger. Others, weak thermocouple, dirty pilot, propane regulator not working properly, and a bunch of others. For safety make sure the heat exchanger is not compromised. Arne.
Thank you, When it was new it came from the factory with the thermocouple mounted at the wrong angle for the auto sparker to light the pilot, I re-drilled the mounting hole, the old mounting hole was so close that i was forced to drill the new mounting hole just a shade off, so every once in a while when the burner kicks on it will blow the pilot out, all this was done better then 15 years ago, so yes you are right, I am the reason for it, :( :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Dawg

Thank you, When it was new it came from the factory with the thermocouple mounted at the wrong angle for the auto sparker to light the pilot, I re-drilled the mounting hole, the old mounting hole was so close that i was forced to drill the new mounting hole just a shade off, so every once in a while when the burner kicks on it will blow the pilot out, all this was done better then 15 years ago, so yes you are right, I am the reason for it, :( :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Dawg
Lol, no worries. Spent too many years working on them things. Pilot light going out for no reason sets off alarm bells. Stay safe, Arne.

Latest posts

Back