k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nesmith

Reaction score
I did not know that it doesn’t last long once mixed with water. I mixed a batch around nine months ago to use in my airlocks. Four months ago it was still good. Today I opened it up to fill an airlock and it smelled like very strong vinegar. I dumped it out and mixed a very small batch.

hum,, never heard that before, the only thing i've heard about k-meta is if it gets old it can still be used to sanitize , but get fresh to use in your wine, like i said i've only heard, but i do know after using my vacuum pump , i fill my lines and filters and let sit till next use, back 3 years ago people in my area were driving me crazy for wine it got to a point i was not aging wine for me, since these people were all either multimillionaires, roll crop farmers, judges, businessman, i knew cutting anyone off would harm my peace, so i laid back a ton of wine, and quit making wine for 2 full years, january of this year i started back, when racking time came i turned on my pump and pumped out my 2 y/o solution and racked away, but a vinegar smell is new to me, that's my experience, and i agree with @mainshipfred , never heard that before
Dawg

I mixed up one gallon and left it in a plastic cool aid jug with a lid. I was filling a airlock and smelled something funny. I put my nose down to the bottle and when I sniffed it kind of burned my sinus. I could smell it for a couple of hours after that. I tossed it out.

I mix 4T K-meta in a gallon of H20 for sanitizing equipment and bottles. It keeps for months in a capped jug. I discard it when I no longer smell SO2

I mixed up one gallon and left it in a plastic cool aid jug with a lid. I was filling a airlock and smelled something funny. I put my nose down to the bottle and when I sniffed it kind of burned my sinus. I could smell it for a couple of hours after that. I tossed it out.
I keep meta in glass, plastics will have some oxygen transmission depending on what polymer.
Burning the sinus sounds like the SO2 reaction. I redo the batch about every 6 months.

I mix 4T K-meta in a gallon of H20 for sanitizing equipment and bottles. It keeps for months in a capped jug. I discard it when I no longer smell SO2

Don't forget you need to acidify the sulfite solution. Add 1-2 tbsp citric acid per gallon along with 1-2 tbsp metabisulfite works great.

Back