K-Meta when bulk aging a WineExpert Luna Rossa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made a WineExpert Luna Rossa and had it bulk aging in a demijohn, topped up to an inch of the rubber bung for 2 years, and have never opened it in that time.

The instructions said if bulk aging more than 6 months, add 1/4 teaspoon of metabisulphite, which is exactly what I did. However I have noticed other threads mentioning adding k-meta regularly, like every 3 months.

Question 1) Is regularly adding k-meta necessary? Is there a chance 1/4 teaspoon was insufficient for 2 years aging?

Question 2) I plan on bottling over the next few weeks, should I stir in some k-meta to the demijohn just prior to bottling, given they will be in bottles with corks and we don't know how long they'll remain in those

Thanks for your help

Hi all,

I've made a WineExpert Luna Rossa and had it bulk aging in a demijohn, topped up to an inch of the rubber bung for 2 years, and have never opened it in that time.

The instructions said if bulk aging more than 6 months, add 1/4 teaspoon of metabisulphite, which is exactly what I did. However I have noticed other threads mentioning adding k-meta regularly, like every 3 months.

Question 1) Is regularly adding k-meta necessary? Is there a chance 1/4 teaspoon was insufficient for 2 years aging?

Question 2) I plan on bottling over the next few weeks, should I stir in some k-meta to the demijohn just prior to bottling, given they will be in bottles with corks and we don't know how long they'll remain in those

Thanks for your help

Technical answer is that you need to try to maintain Kmeta levels appropriate for the pH and color of your wine. In the absence of testing capabilities, most use the 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons, every three months. You’re considerably beyond that time frame, but if the wine isn’t oxidized, and still smells/tastes good, no harm/no foul.

Before bottling, add 1/4 tsp / 6 gallons to keep your wine safe from oxidation / microbial agents while in bottle. Dissolve it in a bit of wine and dump the solution into the target carboy, then rack your wine into it. It should then be well mixed into the wine and ready for bottling.

As a side note, your sanitation practices are presumably pretty good, congrats on that!! Two years is substantial, my longest “lost carboy” with no sulfite was only one year. Turned out just fine. Good luck!!

I am fairly OCD with sanitation, however I don't actually know if the wine is still ok as I have not taken the rubber bung off since planting it in 2 years ago.

I don't have the time to bottle right now so I'm a bit reluctant to remove the bung until I'm ready to bottle in a couple of weeks.

The instructions say

"NOTE: Winexpert kits contain very low levels of sulphite compared to commercial wine. If you want to age your wine more than 6 months, you must add extra metabisulphite powder to prevent oxidation. To do this, dissolve 1.5 grams (¼ teaspoon) of metabisulphite powder in 125 ml (½ cup) cool water and gently stir into wine in the clean carboy. This extra sulphite will not affect flavour or early drinkability."

This is exactly what I did. They do not mention any regular pattern of metabisulphite.

Yikes! I'm worried as this was going to be my first "good" one

I just tasted it and it tastes and smells fantastic.

I've added 1/4 tsp now so I'm in the clear I think!

I also have a Napa Valley Merlot at just over a year, tried and it's also absolutely fine as well. Have added 1/4 tsp to that.

Live and learn, thanks for your help

I just tasted it and it tastes and smells fantastic.

I've added 1/4 tsp now so I'm in the clear I think!

I also have a Napa Valley Merlot at just over a year, tried and it's also absolutely fine as well. Have added 1/4 tsp to that.

Live and learn, thanks for your help

Glad to hear it’s still good, it’s well aged and ready to bottle for sure!!

Latest posts

Back