K-Meta Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just store my meta in a 1g glass jug. have a few laying around. I have a solid bung it it. yes the bung does turn funny yellow after a few years on the inside.

For many years I've been using repurposed Gallo 1gal glass jugs with the existing screw caps for storing acidified sulfite solution; I've had no issues with deterioration of the cap or seal. On the other hand, I have noticed that there is deterioration of one of the plastic internal nozzle components on the spray bottles I've been using. Only this component fails, everything else looks good, and I seem to get maybe two years of service before replacement; obviously this isn't a big deal as the replacement cost is very low.

Nozzle.JPG

For many years I've been using repurposed Gallo 1gal glass jugs with the existing screw caps for storing acidified sulfite solution; I've had no issues with deterioration of the cap or seal. On the other hand, I have noticed that there is deterioration of one of the plastic internal nozzle components on the spray bottles I've been using. Only this component fails, everything else looks good, and I seem to get maybe two years of service before replacement; obviously this isn't a big deal as the replacement cost is very low.

View attachment 57488

Can’t say I’ve had a similar experience.
Needed channel locks to get this sucker off. IMG_8072.JPG

@Ajmassa Wow! is all I can say. Mine appear to be a different style of cap liner, the one on the right I believe is older and is applied as a liquid plastisol, you can see a few bubbles but no major damage.

IMG_0376.JPG

I actually had to cut one off before. The threads kinda melted around the top. The one in the picture wasn’t even for Kmeta storage. Just a half gal jug with a cup of solution for storing and didn’t have a solid stopper that fit. It sat a while and I use a pretty strong dosage.

I have my k-meta in gallon jugs with plastic caps. Lasts at least 6 months. I also use a spray bottle ($1 at Home Depot) to spritz hydrometer, thermometer, spoons, etc.

I believe k-meta sanitizes by both direct contact and the gas that is released, as in my "cork-erator." If direct contact does not sanitize, what is the purpose of a Vinator Bottle Rinser? Anyway, direct contact has worked for me for many years and the only times I rely on the gas is when I am sanitizing corks and fermenters.

Last edited:
View attachment 57618 View attachment 57619

Mark, I use 3 TBSP per gallon of water, which is about 2.5 oz. and 25% stronger than the package recommends (which is 2 oz. per gallon).

Yep. This is exactly what I did too.
From print on bag converted oz. to tbs and just rounded up. Getting a nice strong sanitizer and easy to remember dosage.

*Also- most standard squirt bottles are 32oz. If making solution just for that the numbers work close enough to simply swap tbs’s for tsp’s.

Gallon glass jug
3tbs kmeta 1tbs citric
32oz squirt bottle
3tsp kmeta 1tsp citric

Latest posts

Back