K-Meta Solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs.erinss

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this was in another post somewhere, but I searched and couldn't find specifics...

I saw on many posts that you guys say for sanitizing, a K-Meta solution should be 3 Tbsp. per gallon of water. I purchased a 1 lb. bag of K-Meta and on the bag it says for sanitizing to mix 2 oz. per gallon. Isn't that 4 Tbsp.? Anyone know which is right? I already started my first batch of wine today, and used the 4 Tbsp. Hope that doesn't mess anything up! Should I just use 3 in the future?

Hi Erin, I use a powdered KMeta for sanitizing, this is a Brewcraft product and it says on the package to use 4 TSP per 1/2 gallon of water, for SANITIZING. But then again it also says to use 1/2 TSP for 6 gallons of wine, most everyone in here says to use 1/4 TSP for 5 gallons of wine. But for sanitizing you are on the right track, there are some other sanitizers out there, but so far I have only used K Meta. I think CP uses something that begins with an "I", but I forget what it is. 4 TBLS per gallon should be fine for sanitizing. I remeber hearing that anything that is to be sanitized should be in contact for 5 minutes in the solution. I think you'll be fine.

Troy

Last edited:
I weighed out Na-meta once which is basically the same and 3 tbls came out to 2 ounces approx.

Those darn US measurements.
If you would do liters and kilo's it would be easy !!!!

Now go to Jack Keller's winelog and visit the may 5th 2007 entry:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog9.asp

Jack writes there how to make a 10% solution from powdered sulphite and how to add the appropriate amount to any volume of must.

For a normal winemaking I would suggest to look in the 30ppm column.

Hope this helps.

Luc

Remember to that most measuring spoons and cups are less than accurate or exact. The only way to get a true amount is to weigh. For sanitizing, a little more isn't going to hurt anything. I use Na Meta which is a bit stronger. I use 3 tablespoons per gallon for sanitizing. Never an issue.

Back