K-meta Shelf Life

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After testing the old came in at 48 ppm and the new 46 ppm. Now I only did one test each so it's not good lab protocol and there is a slight margin for error but I think it is close enough to see that the old is still good.

When at University, one of my Chemistry professors said that he worked his was through college doing titrations. And he said he only took one measurement. Because if he took two, the second one would always be different, so he would then need to take a third one to prove the first one was accurate.

His tongue in check comment was to point out measurement and statistical error. But also to show that if one knows what they are doing, then any measurement, when properly done, will fall within the standard deviation error of such measurements. So should be okay. A beginner needs to take that third measurement, but an expert may need not.

But, it also I think this data confirms why it is recommended to always retest your wine a day or two after adding KMeta, because of this or other factors may affect the results, and they may not be where you think it should be by the "simple" expectations of "formulas" after a day or two. That is, the world is complicated, and things you read from an external source are ideals, but need not match your personal real world realities, and one should not expect them to. The more experience you gain, the less you need to test repeatedly. Hope this helps.

I'm practicing bâttonage

There is a great topic for a thread. How often, does one stir, time periods between stirs, how long to stir, what wines are best for this method, your experiences, etc, etc, etc.

As I said, great for a new topic (hint, hint). No need to reply here where the interesting parts of the reply may be lost in the thread.... 😎

I've always wondered about the shelf life of K-meta powder. Everything I read says one year though it's also mentioned to throw it out after 3 years. My thoughts have always been if it's sealed what could go wrong with it. However this may not be the case. While recently adjusting the sulfites on my peach wine I had to add about 3 times the amount (using FermCalc) to get to the proper level of free SO2. I bought 5 lbs in September of 2020 but didn't open the package until June of last year so it's over a year old.

I'm going to order a lesser quantity and when it comes in I'm going to put measured amounts in 2 of the same wines and check the free SO2 just to check. I'm a little worried since I don't usually check the SO2 after putting in the recommended amounts and afraid I may have not me my desired levels in previously sulfited wines. The ones in bulk I can adjust I'm just concerned about the ones I bottled.
Can you describe the process to check free SO2?

Ok I just looked up Vinmetrica and know I don’t want to spend that kind of money for the equipment.
I also use vinmetrica. The machine is expensive and the chemicals are expensive. It however is relatively easy.
Before owning Vinmetrica I had years where I assumed that if I did normal/ minimal air exposure the number would be zero. With country and whites this seems to be the case, they buffer out to a lower oxidation state consuming free SO2.

Latest posts

Back