K-meta shelf life

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question will beg to ask whether you are referring to K-Meta powder or a K-Meta solution. I'll go with the latter first...

Since this will depend on the container it's stored in, how often it's used, and the ambient temperature, your nose can be a good gauge if the viability of your K-Meta solution is still intact. If it has that burnt-match-make-you-cough kind of odor, then it's still potent. If not, it may be time to make another batch. Since K-Meta powder is pretty inexpensive, if you doubting at all, make some fresh stuff.

The powder should last a significant amount of time if it is kept cool, dryand sealed, etc. Lately, I've used pound quantities and found that I willburn through that in a year's time without much difficulty - I've not had any problem with solution potency during that time.

- Jim

+1 to Jim Cook's reply, K-Meta will last a long time if stored properly.

Keeping it out of direct sun and heat will help.

I bought a 50lb bag of Sodium Metabisulphite about 3 years ago and it will still knock you down when you pop the lid on it

+1 to Waldo!

I have some sealed in 2 plastic bags and then in an airtight plastic pail for that long and it still gets me every time. I take it outside to open it up. You don't need to put your nose anywhere near it as it can be smelled for miles!! Be careful with it!

I use and reuse the solution. The smell is my gauge. I make a gallon at a time and it usually lasts about 3 months before I have used it all. I have not had the potency be an issue for me.

Back