K-Meta Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend the other day who was very interested in my wine making since they love red wine, especially Merlot, which i make. He asked me if it was sulphite free because they feel wines high in sulphites give them headache and bad hangover if drink to much. ( told the lush not to drink so much...lol:HB) I explained the need for the k-meta to protect the wine while aging and that it a minimal amount.

My question is how does the K-meta addition that is recommended here ( 1/4 teaspoon per 5-6 gallons evry 3 months compare to commercial wines you buy at the store? I would imagine its much greater in store bought wines....

You would need to test specific wines you're asking about. They will likely differ depending on the wine you purchase.

That said, I believe commercial wines use much higher levels than most home winemakers.

Legally, I believe they can put as much as 300ppm in their wines. I usually do not take my so2 ppm over 50ish at bottling depending on the wine I'm making.

Ok. Thanks. Is k-meta absolutely necessary right before bottling? Especially if you added it a month or so before? How much do you add before bottling?

Back