K Meta question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchK

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I've got a simple question, I'm assuming that you normally don't add any k meta when moving your wine from the primary to the secondary?

Thanks
Mitch

Right . We suggest you transfer from primary when the gravity is around 1.010ish. Then when in the secondary it will ferment dry. Once dry .990 is when you need to stabilize the wine.

Never add any k-meta during fermentation as it will most lkely just cause problems like stuck fermentation.

Once the wine ferments dry at .990 and I add the K Meta should potassium sorbate also be added?

Thanks
Mitch

Can the wine get passed .990? And would you consider racking at .992?

Depending on the wine, it could be dry at .996 or even 1.0. What you want to look for is a stable SG. If it remains the same over a period of a couple of days, then it's probably done fermenting.

Peace,
Bob

Can the wine get passed .990? And would you consider racking at .992?
I don't recall ever seeing a wine kit get below .990, but MAYBE to .988. Spagnols kits, for some reason, don't seem to get as low as .992.

I have racked out of primary at .992 MANY MANY MANY times. Fo me, Vineco and Winexpert kits can ferment down to .992 in 7 days when temperatures are good.

BTW, I used to run an FoP making Vineco and Spagnols kits for people.

Steve

BTW, I used to run an FoP making Vineco and Spagnols kits for people.

Steve

What is FoP???

Also if the temperature was around 80 deg f and your wine went to .992 in a week could you then rack and degas for 3 days then use fining agent for 3 days then drink a decent wine right then?

You should be able to drink the wine anytime throughout the process, but why would you want to drink it so quick? The more patience you have the more rewards there are. The wine gets better with age - no doubt about it. Thats just my opinion but I think its shared by lots of people.

What is FoP???
A Ferment on Premises store. I ran a small one. Up to 100 batches on the go at a time.

Also if the temperature was around 80 deg f and your wine went to .992 in a week could you then rack and degas for 3 days then use fining agent for 3 days then drink a decent wine right then?
Decent? Proably not. Time is a wine makers friend. Most wines aren't good at 28 days. So they'll be less good at 14 days. In my opinion anyway.

Steve

Back