K-meta in a new must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dderemiah

Reaction score
I have 200#'s of grapes that I added 6 campden tabs. I think that comes out to 3 grams. Does that sound like the right amount? It looks like about 22 gallons of must.

it is 27 Brix Ph 4.16 and TA .39. Should I add some nutrient or acid?

Also, the grape provider measured 23.5 brix. Is that a normal difference after the must has sat for an hour or 2?

Depends on the campden tablets bit I dought that is enough. There are different strengths of campden tablets though and without knowing this its impossible to tell.

Oh no. It's been 24 hours. Does it make sense at this point to add more K meta or punt and pitch the yeast since it has been sitting at 72 deg for 24 hours? I don't have the bottle in front of me, but I believe it said that the tabs are 550mg each. I used the tablets because I don't have a scale that will measure 3 grams accurately.

You must have a tsp measuer though and that would be 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons. Id leave it now. Most wine yeast strains will overcome the wild yeast anyway.

The bottle says that 1 tablet / USG = 150ppm total SO2. So does that mean that I have added 45ppm so far? My math is (6 * 150ppm)/20 USG = 45 ppm

I'm pitching the yeast. What about nutrients and acid? Any opinions on that ?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Am I asking too many questions? I hope not. Mainly I want to know if my math is right so I can keep track of how much Kmeta I put in.

That math is spot on and no you are not asking too many questions. The only thing I will say is that over time the sulfite you add will be bound at different levels so just counting and not doing tsts will be inaccurate but truthfully close enough.

Back