K-meta consensus for sanitation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemperanceOwl

Reaction score
I've been looking at various sources on sanitization, and (as many of you know) see a wide range of recommendations. Here are just a few:

3 Tablespoons dry K-meta to 1 gallon water - finevinewines
8 teaspoons to 1 gallon water - winemakermag
1 teaspoon to 1 gallon water - grapestompers

2 teaspoons + 1 Tablespoon citric acid to 1 gallon water - Presque Isle
1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon citric acid to 1 gallon water - eckraus (I made this one this morning and it had NO smell - so I added more K-meta)

With so much disparity, I'd be curious to know if any of you experienced winemakers have used one of these concentrations and had problems? Has anyone used 1 teaspoon per gallon and experienced spoilage, or 8 teaspoons and ended up with sulfur-wine? With this much disagreement between legitimate sources, can the concentration really matter as long as you've got something in there?

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your experiences.

I have always used 3TBS per gallon of water and I have never had a sanitation issue. I am sure I learned that from here, just not sure from who.

8 tsp is almost the same as 3 tbl, hardly any difference. So the only discrepancy is Grapestompers and their method is not enough.

I have followed this method for years - except I use equal parts of meta vs. citric acid. You use less meta by using the acid which lowers the ph of water to wine. It also does not leave a heavy residue to bring up your SO2 readings once you decide to bottle.

I would personally follow this one as I go a bit heavier on the sulfite = 2 teaspoons + 1 Tablespoon citric acid to 1 gallon water - Presque Isle

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back