just wondering

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

hounddawg

Dawg
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
2,750
Location
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
hey, I live up in the instep of the Missouri on the Arkansas side in the foothills of the Ozark mountains, my elderberries look like I might get a record crop, grass looks great in the pasture, but blackberries are looking poorly, wild blackberries,,, peaches aren't making nothing, pears are slim to none, walnuts and pecans very, very few, acorn next to nothing, muscadines fair to Middleton, nothing extra, we've had good rains, is anyone else in the five rivers regions:?:? doing better, got me a little puzzled to say the least, with the rains coming decent and spread out we should be loaded all the way around,
would be interested in others thoughts and how is nature doing by you,
thank you
Dawg
 

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Joined
Aug 29, 2015
Messages
3,734
Reaction score
2,570
Location
Northwest Arkansas
Late freezes after that early warm spell. Over in NW Arkansas we lost plums and several other crops that bloomed too early and got caught by the freeze. Bumper crop of Black Raspberries for us though.
 

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
4,461
Reaction score
4,418
Location
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I love due north of you about 200 miles (near St. Louis) my elderberries are going crazy this year. The blackberries are setting berries quite nicely and I should get a very good crop from my 6 plants. My berries are all take, or at least planned by me in the backyard.
 

hounddawg

Dawg
Joined
Oct 23, 2014
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
2,750
Location
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
I have what looks to be a bumper crop of elderberries, today before I got to hot I picked 2 lbs of wild black berries growing around an old tractor, I have hundreds of wild blackberries but 95% have small beads no juice to speak of and very tart, as well as being small berries period. the other 5% are big wild blackberries tons of juice, but some are watery the rest oh my god so good, I eat them all but the few big ones that are sweet I make some killer wine, 80% sweet blackberries and 20% vert tart black berries I have started trans planting some of the large sweet ones into my back yard since my yard is an acre and a half, the front half is under 4 foot chain link which I save for bulging flowers and crabapple, the back acre is fruit trees and now briars from wild black berries I plan when they get thick to mow paths thru then to access the berries, since I'm older and not in good health, in the old days I put on 2 pairs on levis and 3 long sleeve shirts and wade right in, but with one leg an with half foot on the other side, gotta make it easy on me, gawd I love my wines, just a spoiled old baby I guess, but yep I guess blackberry winter did it's number this year
 

Latest posts

Top