just wanted to throw it out there...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
that my fermenting blackberries smell good!!!
of course the blueberry never made a bad smell either, but after the peach fiasco, i was a little nervous this past 24 hr. this fermentation is also much more vigorous than any of the others i've done...like little volcanoes...
and it smells fruity! now, if the peach wine tastes good and the blackberry wine tastes bad, maybe i should never complain about fermentation smell ever again...time will tell.

Perhaps the peach is having an SO2 issue.... You might want to stire it with some stripped and sanitized copper wire.

Perhaps the peach is having an SO2 issue.... You might want to stire it with some stripped and sanitized copper wire.

it was mostly during the primary fermentation stage...stank, and i mean make u wanna throw up stink...
when i racked it recently, there was a reminiscent lingering, odor, but thank goodness, nothing like what it was fermenting. it is clearing decently, but i was thinking about a fining to see if it would help move that slight odor on out? what's the thought on finings for odors?

I don't know if a clearing agent will remove an oder. Perhaps bentonite could. I'm not sure though. Try a splash racking.

Fining wont usually do anything and if its not done clearing you will usually clog filters very fast and have a hell of a time changing out filters and claening up a big mess.

I don't know if a clearing agent will remove an oder. Perhaps bentonite could. I'm not sure though. Try a splash racking.

i splashed it pretty good with the first racking...there was a little ring of gunk where the foam had receded and i think the lingering smell may have been coming from that...

Were the peaches good - did they stink before fermentation?

Did you destone them?

i washed in a mild bleach water and rinsed, quartered and de-stoned. they were anywhere from just right to a little overripe...
the ones i got from a high school classmate for the flavor pac were even better tasting...i told him i would be coming back to him next year for ALL of my peaches.

Not sure - maybe the bleach water had something to do with. I generally just give a good rinsing off - but if i do wash them i just use dawn liquid soap.

Not sure - maybe the bleach water had something to do with. I generally just give a good rinsing off - but if i do wash them i just use dawn liquid soap.

i wondered about that, too, jon. i probably won't do it next time. it was a very diluted amount, but, still...
blackberries still smell great this morning. s.g. is already dropping.
i will check it tonight to see if i'm getting close...

Latest posts

Back