Just to be very clear... Synthetic corks and storage...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojoeastcoast

Reaction score
I just want to be sure of this after doing some reading here, so would appreciate comments from those who use synthetic corks.

It really makes no difference as to how you store your wine (in terms of bottle placement)?? I can store it upright, upside down, or on its side for months and months???

The reason I ask is that my hubby came across a 30-bottle wine rack on-sale, but it will take up space we really don't have. I'd rather store the bottles in the boxes they come in from my retailer... And if I can store them upside down or upright, that would be perfect as I can slide those boxes into our under-stair storage closet. Likely the best wine storage spot in our house in terms of temperature.

I am no expert by any means...

But my understanding is that if you use real cork, you need to store on side so the corck does not dry out and get brittle, but synthetic corks do not have that problem, and therefore could be stored long term standing upright.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

No need to correct you Allen.
Corks (real ones) need to be kept wet. Synthetic ones do not.

Seems to me someone was on here last week talking about storing corked bottles upside down in their original cases in consideration of space, I dont remeber if the subject of synthetic corks vs cork was a factor.

I too deal with limited space so the answer could help us both Jo.
:b

Troy

That's what I do when I cork my bottles. Turning upside down makes it safer to stack on top of each other. I stack 5 high.

Man that would make an exciting day if fermentation hasn't completed... Bottle rockets :)

Another question regarding synthetic corks... Do they prevent oxidation, so there would be no need to add anything further to a kit-wine before bottling, if I plan to age a few bottles for a year or two (depending on my patience)?

Another question regarding synthetic corks... Do they prevent oxidation, so there would be no need to add anything further to a kit-wine before bottling, if I plan to age a few bottles for a year or two (depending on my patience)?
You will still need K-meta.

You will still need K-meta.

Thanks.

So I would purchase this separately and add it during Step 4: Racking and Clarification (I know the kit comes with some that is used in Step 3: Stabilizing and Clearing, but this isn't enough for aging, correct?).

If you do a kit and bottle soon then your OK. Most wines would be better bulk aging. That being said you would add 1/4 tsp of k-meta every 90 days.

So if you are just finished with your kit instructions, to the point where they say "bottle the wine", but you want to bulk age for 3 months, should you add the K-meta now or in 3 months right before bottling?

typically in a kit, the stabilization step of the instructions ask you to add both k-meta and sorbate. in this instance i would add the k-meta (and sorbate) supplied with the kit. i do not not add additional when i go to carboy instead of bottles. in three months when you are ready to rack/bottle again, add the additional 1/4 tsp per 6/gal. then bottle.

bottomline, dont skip the kit's final k-meta regardless of whether you are bottling or aging. even in bulk storage, the wine will need the k-meta protection.

Last edited:
That's what I do when I cork my bottles. Turning upside down makes it safer to stack on top of each other. I stack 5 high.

The bottles are easier to open this way when you drank soooooo much and can't get off the floor!

Tom, I'm trying to picture how upside down makes it safer to stack.....

I understand the practice for keeping the corks wet.

Here is how I have my bottler upside down ih cases..

picture.php
[/IMG]

Im thinking it provides a nice solid base for the box on top to sit on.

I am now jealous Tom.

Heck, thats not even HALF of whats in full cases.

Bulk ageing

OK...Lets see.

I want to bottle @1/2 of my first batch.
Just follow instructions with no change....Use cork....Store on its side or upside down after a couple of days. Enjoy it all.

2nd half. Put into an 11L carboy as per kit instructions. After 90 days(ish) add K-meta and bottle with synthetic corks. (And these can stay upright if I want for storage for a longer period of time.)

With the synthetic corks, I want these to last a few years should I change the size or length? I have a Portugese floor corker.

Dazz

Latest posts

Back