WineXpert Just tasted my first batch... not bad, but boring.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurivera

Junior
Reaction score
I am a super newbie at this, so I started with the Winexpert Selection Premium Sauvignon kit. I mixed it together and started fermentation on January 19 (my wife and I wanted to call the wine our “Inaugural White”). My staging area is in the basement, and as we live in Upstate NY, it stays pretty cool. I was afraid of not having it warm enough for the yeast to do its thing, so I used a brew belt to help things along.

Maybe it was too warm, because the primary fermentation was pretty much complete by January 26, judging by the SG. I transferred it to the secondary, and it barely bubbled. Well, to make a long story short, I followed the rest of the directions, racked it twice, topped it with distilled water (maybe not a good idea?), then bottled it on March 28. We tasted it then, and it wasn’t bad, but didn’t have that citrus complexity we love about Sauvignon Blanc. I told myself: be patient, it just needs some time in the bottle.

Well, we uncorked a bottle last night, and it is still kind of bland. It isn’t bad, but kind of boring, with no tart acid. My wife says it tasted more like a non-oaky Chardonnay.

My questions are: will it get better? Could the rapid fermentation have something to do with the blah flavor? Should I have topped it with wine instead of water?

I welcome any and all comments!

It could. I like to ferment my whites at much cooler temps then stated in directions. The yeast suppiled works well even at much cooler temps from 50*-86* F. I always ferment my white wines and fruit wines at around 62* and this helps keep the wines fruity esters. I do warm it back up towards the end of fermentation to make sure it finishes fermenting though. It will make fermentation take much longer though!

How much water did you add? If you need to top off get yourself a similar wine to top off. I do not add water it will thin it out.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, the wine is drinkable, but nothing to brag about.

I guess it will not improve much more in the bottle?

Patience. It's only been in the bottle a month. Many of us like to wait more than 3 months for this level of white.

Steve

I find that most of the kit wines I've tasted are deficient in acidity for my personal tastes. I think that kits (at the lower price point, anyways) are generally engineered to appeal to a broad audience and as such they keep to rather low TA levels for the variety at hand... much like many lower priced commercial wines. I really prefer crisp, cool climate wines, and as such, I find many kit wines (especially whites) dull and flat tasting. Maybe a higher end kit would better suit your tastes, or you could try pure juice.

Wine Expert kits are concentrated to allow up to one liter of water addition. I normally would add up to that amount but if any more was needed i added a like type wine. Give the wine some time. The WE Selection Kits are pretty decent kits.

Latest posts

Back