just strained and want advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
Ok just strained my grape mixture it started out 14 days ago at 1.072 today it's at 1.018 tastes good but not sweet still real tart, should I add sugar now or wait till it SG has gotten lower. Normally I'd add sugar now oh when I say sugar I mean simple syrup oh started with abit over 6 gallons of must now after straining abit under 5 gallon.

OIh I'm looking for higher alcohol and mid sweet if that makes sense

Last edited:
Ok just strained my grape mixture it started out 14 days ago at 1.072 today it's at 1.018 tastes good but not sweet still real tart, should I add sugar now or wait till it SG has gotten lower. Normally I'd add sugar now oh when I say sugar I mean simple syrup oh started with abit over 6 gallons of must now after straining abit under 5 gallon.

OIh I'm looking for higher alcohol and mid sweet if that makes sense

Are you wanting to sweeten it now or are you trying to fuel the higher alc %?

Is it still fermenting? If so - the sugar added now will more than likely turn into alcohol.

You will have to stabilize it later to sweeten.

I think hes trying to do both as he said. What yeast did you use cause if you used like EC 1118 then you will be doing this for a long time with that low starting sg and also trying to sweeten. You could bump the sg back up a bit and then let that ferment dry, stabilize and then sweeten.

I think hes trying to do both as he said. What yeast did you use cause if you used like EC 1118 then you will be doing this for a long time with that low starting sg and also trying to sweeten. You could bump the sg back up a bit and then let that ferment dry, stabilize and then sweeten.

Yeah - i was just thinking that sugar added now would not sweeten - only increase the ABV if it is still fermenting.

yeah it's still working good gonna go ahead and add the syrup and let it work till it stops and then guess see what I got then

Are you wanting to sweeten it now or are you trying to fuel the higher alc %?

Don't want to hijack thread, but just pose a related question: When adding sugar to a fermenting batch, how do you calculate the expected final alcohol % ?

You need to know your starting SG then you need to know the SG before you add more sugar and you will also need to know the SG after you add more sugar. Then figure it like so......

Starting SG = 1.085
SG before additional sugar was added = 1.020
Subtract the two = 1.085 - 1.020 = .065 (this represents the ABV at the present time)
NOW
SG after the additional sugar was added = 1.060
SG after it ferments dry .995
Subtract these two = 1.060 - .995 = .065
Add the first drop of SG to the second drop of SG = .065 + .065 = .130
This will give you a total SG drop then multiply it = .130 x 131.4 = 17.082% ABV

Hopefully that helped....

Latest posts

Back