Just started RJS Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsmithcpa

Reaction score
Started an RJS Super Tuscan today. It came with two small grape skin packs. I dumped the skin packs (one at a time) into a sanitized pitcher, added 1.5L of warm water and stirred.

I stretched the muslin bag over another pot and poured the skin packs and water into it. Tied off the bag and put it in a separate container while I poured the water into the fermenter, and topped up to 6 gallons.

SG measured 1.110 at 74 degrees (wow, soooo much better than the CC amarone).

Three days into fermentation it was still at 1.11. Today is 9 days in and it’s at 1.0105. Instructions indicate to toss the grape skin pack at this point and rack to secondary. I’m kind of hesitant to do that... I added the airlock a few days ago and it’s still steadily bubbling in the airlock. I’ve been stirring regularly, so it should have enough oxygen. Anyone have any thoughts about whether I should/shouldn’t leave it in the Speidel with an airlock, with the skin pack and oak chips until it’s completely dry?

Three days into fermentation it was still at 1.11. Today is 9 days in and it’s at 1.0105. Instructions indicate to toss the grape skin pack at this point and rack to secondary. I’m kind of hesitant to do that... I added the airlock a few days ago and it’s still steadily bubbling in the airlock. I’ve been stirring regularly, so it should have enough oxygen. Anyone have any thoughts about whether I should/shouldn’t leave it in the Speidel with an airlock, with the skin pack and oak chips until it’s completely dry?
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/extended-maceration-eclipse-lodi-11-cab.55098/

Fabulous, so there seems to be a consensus here of "don't follow the instructions." LOL... that gives me some confidence.

I have some Fermaid O... I think it's basically the same stuff. I'm guessing I should probably do a half dose at this point in fermentation, or maybe less?

I've read that if you over-dose you can have excess nutrients for spoilage bacteria, and I am pretty new to this so don't have much basis for judgment as to how much is too much.

Edit... I went ahead and added a third of the package's suggested dose (3 grams... 0.5 grams per gallon).

Last edited:
Started an RJS Super Tuscan today. It came with two small grape skin packs. I dumped the skin packs (one at a time) into a sanitized pitcher, added 1.5L of warm water and stirred.

I stretched the muslin bag over another pot and poured the skin packs and water into it. Tied off the bag and put it in a separate container while I poured the water into the fermenter, and topped up to 6 gallons.

SG measured 1.110 at 74 degrees (wow, soooo much better than the CC amarone).

New guy here (<=== disclaimer).
I interpreted the kit instructions a bit differently than your execution.
I basically read, add water until the 6 gallon mark, then add the skin packs.
Each skin pack displaces about a quart of volume, so I’d say you’re a half gallon short on water.
Perhaps that explains the high OG?
What OG did you get with CC?

I’ve only done a couple of kits and also found the RJS to have higher OG, compared to Winexpert.

New guy here (<=== disclaimer).
I interpreted the kit instructions a bit differently than your execution.
I basically read, add water until the 6 gallon mark, then add the skin packs.
Each skin pack displaces about a quart of volume, so I’d say you’re a half gallon short on water.
Perhaps that explains the high OG?
What OG did you get with CC?

I’ve only done a couple of kits and also found the RJS to have higher OG, compared to Winexpert.

I agree with your interpretation of the instructions, and I did not short the water. I measured the water that I used to stir up the grape skin packs, and did a full water addition.

My CC kit didn’t work out so well... after more than 24 hours my SG was at 1.07ish.

Down to 0.994 as of yesterday... probably about finished. Waiting for it to go two days without changing SG. I sampled yesterday - not awful, but not interesting at all, kind of plain. I might add a little tannin after racking. If anyone has suggestions I'd be interested to hear.

Down to 0.994 as of yesterday... probably about finished. Waiting for it to go two days without changing SG. I sampled yesterday - not awful, but not interesting at all, kind of plain. I might add a little tannin after racking. If anyone has suggestions I'd be interested to hear.
Probably too late for EM. After you rack and stabilize, add some oak and let it sit for at least 6 months, a year is better. Then rack, So2 and bottle. Let it sit another several months before starting to drink them. We've made this kit several times, never been let down.

The 2 I've made didn't taste like much at bottling, but in 10 or 12 months it's great and continues to get better with age.

So does everyone agree to ignore the instructions and leave the bag and chips in till dry , this is my first super Tuscan I’d hate to screw it up

Probably too late for EM.

Do you mind explaining your thought here? What makes it too late? I just started a CC Amarone and I want to do EM. My plan was at the end of fermentation to airlock, turn the fermenter down into the 50s and leave alone for 8 weeks but now not certain.

Do you mind explaining your thought here? What makes it too late? I just started a CC Amarone and I want to do EM. My plan was at the end of fermentation to airlock, turn the fermenter down into the 50s and leave alone for 8 weeks but now not certain.
For EM I use a Fermonster and lock it down after about 4 or 5 days sloshing it back and forth to keep the skins wet. This ensures a CO2 headspace for the 8 or more weeks of the EM. If you wait until fermentation is finished then you won't have the same level of protection and risk oxidation, make sure you add the K-meta it will help.

For EM I use a Fermonster and lock it down after about 4 or 5 days sloshing it back and forth to keep the skins wet. This ensures a CO2 headspace for the 8 or more weeks of the EM. If you wait until fermentation is finished then you won't have the same level of protection and risk oxidation, make sure you add the K-meta it will help.
Got it, Fermenting just really started today so I should be fine. Thanks.

There’s some debate on when you should airlock you’re wine in an EM.

At the end of fermentation, your wine is still loaded with CO2. So waiting a week or two to put it under airlock should not be an issue.

I bag my skins (makes it easier to remove them and recover some wine at the end) and I need to open the fermenter to punch them down for 10-14 days until sloshing the wine is enough (they eventually sink on their own). So, that protective blanket of co2 dissipates every time I open the fermenter.

Once I get past two weeks, with fermentation complete, I dose my wine with Kmeta and put it under an airlock. The wine degasses on its own over the next 6-7 weeks.

I’m planning an EM on a Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot after Thanksgiving. And, planning to follow this same protocol.

Last edited:
I bag my skins (makes it easier to remove them and recover some wine at the end) and I need to open the fermenter to punch them down for 10-14 days until sloshing the wine is enough (they eventually sink on their own). So, that protective blanket of co2 dissipates every time I open the fermenter.
This was timely. I also bagged my skins (I did add some marbles for weight) but they are still floating to the top. I'm fermenting at 66 degrees and while close, not complete yet. I airlocked it yesterday at 1.015 concerned that I was getting too close, but I would prefer to punch down the bag until it sinks.

I find if I give the bags a good squeeze a couple times a day during primary fermentation, I get a fuller bodied wine. I sanitize my hands with K-meta and wring out the bag which sinks due to the loss of CO2 trapped in the bag (providing buoyancy). At the very end, I give them one last squeeze and pitch the grape skins into my compost pile.

Back