Just posting today’s work

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I planted 16 Merlot vines where Cabernet Sauvignon vines were located. I am pretty darn proud of the work.

those boulders in the aisles were pried out of the ground by me. Whoever put the vineyard in originally thought it would be fine to plant some vines directly on top of a rock! Well, it’s not.
8949E51E-2373-4C91-AC89-3DD44F819A97.jpeg

Nothing more satisfying than digging holes.

Bonus is you get to plant!

My grapes are starting bud break already(baco Noir was first, followed 2 days later by the first tempranillo and 1 day later for the first malbec), 10 days ahead of the previous 2 years. I even planted tomatoes it's been so warm. I'll have to tarp them for a few cold nights but have high hopes.

I planted 16 Merlot vines where Cabernet Sauvignon vines were located. I am pretty darn proud of the work.

those boulders in the aisles were pried out of the ground by me. Whoever put the vineyard in originally thought it would be fine to plant some vines directly on top of a rock! Well, it’s not.
View attachment 73176
Wow! Tough looking soil.

28 degrees last night - buds didn't look damaged - wonder what the cold hardiness is at bud break, pre-break and post-break?

Quick google search implies 29.8F as temp where damage starts. Anyone with experience with vinifera.

Not a lot of buds have opened yet, probably only 1% opened. I'm not really worried, just curious...

That is cold. Maybe your vineyard has a microclimate that is warmer. Hillsides help vines from freezing during these spring cold snaps

I do have a nice little microclimate, even so I do see about 2 weeks of variance from the coldest to warmest location in my 165' x 53' lot.

The temperature reading was in my yard and could have been in a cold pool that the Grapes wouldn't get. With the altitude and dry air here the temps really drop when the sky is clear. It was probably only below freezing for a few hours though. 72 to 28, quite the swing.

I threw a tarp over the tomatoes, they only got down to 42 (I have a remote temperature monitoring units that I move around the yard for fun).

those boulders in the aisles were pried out of the ground by me.

These boulders were dumped onto my property by a new neighbor without my permission. Despite my having a land survey done 8 years ago to delineate my property boundary. Some people are just.... Annoying.

2021-03-24 13.08.22.jpg

Back