Just pitched yeast, smells vomitty?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zintrigue

Reaction score
Just pitched yeast on a fontana kit. Lifted the towel to take a whiff and it smells awful, like vomit.

RC212 yeast, grenache/syrah juice.

I'm not used to working with rc212, is this normal for it or should I scoop as much out as I can and toss in EC-1118? Biting my nails over here.

Thanks

EDIT: okay, missed my window of opportunity for the scoop out. Just gonna hang tight and hope the yeast had a funky smell on it. stay tuned for the exciting conclusion to this unexpected lesson on yeast smell...

Last edited:
On a fortana kit you probably will need some yeast nutrient for the 212

It will throw off a lot of funky stuff if you dont give it enough nutrients. And Grenache/Syrah Juice makes a good wine

Ah, planned to anyway because Fonatanas always need more, but I'll add sooner thanks to your advice. I only have experience with Ec-1118.

CK55 - Syrah(shiraz) is one of my faves. I looked for that in a cheapo kit but could only find a grenache/syrah combo. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. Sauteed some dried cabernet grapes and added to primary to beef up the flavor a bit. High hopes on this one, I'll be pretty darn bummed if it tanks.

Ah, planned to anyway because Fonatanas always need more, but I'll add sooner thanks to your advice. I only have experience with Ec-1118.

CK55 - Syrah(shiraz) is one of my faves. I looked for that in a cheapo kit but could only find a grenache/syrah combo. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. Sauteed some dried cabernet grapes and added to primary to beef up the flavor a bit. High hopes on this one, I'll be pretty darn bummed if it tanks.
Yeah, just give it time and let it sit, it will develop a bit of a vegetal aroma sometimes during primary then the fruit will come back,

What i have to say about Syrah(Shiraz) is that Shiraz is just mainly the european name for it in the US its mostly just referred to as Syrah, although it is legal to label it as Shiraz, just about no winery that i get Syrah from does that.

They blend the Syrah with Grenache because Grenache lacks body and tannins and is a fairly light colored wine with a high tendancy to oxidize. i really enioy mine even as fresh as it is. Right in the bottle it has this fantastic aroma and body to it, Get some oak chips or some Oak dust and let it age on it at least 2 weeks will massively help the balance of the wine. And use real DIAM 5 or 10 corks as this wine should easily last 5 years.

Yeah, just give it time and let it sit, it will develop a bit of a vegetal aroma sometimes during primary then the fruit will come back,

What i have to say about Syrah(Shiraz) is that Shiraz is just mainly the european name for it in the US its mostly just referred to as Syrah, although it is legal to label it as Shiraz, just about no winery that i get Syrah from does that.

They blend the Syrah with Grenache because Grenache lacks body and tannins and is a fairly light colored wine with a high tendancy to oxidize. i really enioy mine even as fresh as it is. Right in the bottle it has this fantastic aroma and body to it, Get some oak chips or some Oak dust and let it age on it at least 2 weeks will massively help the balance of the wine. And use real DIAM 5 or 10 corks as this wine should easily last 5 years.

Yes, I spent some time perusing WineFolly about the combo before I bought it, they said the same thing. They even said that blending with cab is a thing in (France?), I think. So my dried cab grapes should be a hit. Already had the oak at the ready, and plenty of #9 corks to spare. ;)

AkTom - if it wasn't so darned expensive to ship a bottle of wine I'd propose an exchange program for a large number of us.

Oh, as for the smell...

I gave the must a good stir, added two tsp nutrient. At first it was smelling better, but once I stirred it the sour vomit smell was back. That's what I get for ordering yeast off Etsy. My penny pincher self couldn't fathom paying $10 to ship a single packet of yeast off of the other brew sites. :d

Oh, as for the smell...

I gave the must a good stir, added two tsp nutrient. At first it was smelling better, but once I stirred it the sour vomit smell was back. That's what I get for ordering yeast off Etsy. My penny pincher self couldn't fathom paying $10 to ship a single packet of yeast off of the other brew sites. :d

Sounds like RC212, You are stirring and gave nutrient. It will more likely be fine. I had off smells with it in two batches this spring, once racked off of gross lees the smell no longer existed.

RC212 is definitely a proven winner. So hopefully it blows off like Gentile said. How much dried Cab grapes did you add?
I did this blend last September and had similar issues. Not so much “vomit” smell- but definitely an ‘off odor’. It was a neglected fresh juice pail that took off on its own. Added about 15lbs of Cabernet fruit.
When I transferred I was as rough as possible hoping to release any unwanted odors. No pumps or siphoning. I scooped the grapes out with a strainer and dumped into the carboy through a funnel.
Some blew off at first but came back. A very very raw smell that lingered for long while. Now 10 months later it has finally dissipated and is starting to smell and taste extremely inviting. So maybe the actual varietals play a big part like CK55 mentions.
Grenache, Syrah, Cab sounds like a great blend to me. I guess that would be considered Rhonè style? Not sure. Mine is Chateaunef du Pape (endless list of potential blends) so no idea of the actual blend. But I’m pretty sure Grenache and Syrah make up the lions share.

Sounds like RC212, You are stirring and gave nutrient. It will more likely be fine. I had off smells with it in two batches this spring, once racked off of gross lees the smell no longer existed.

That takes a load of stress off of me, thanks. I went in there and sniffed the towel over my bucket and it smelled normal again, no more vomit. Keeping fingers crossed that the nutrient really helped.

Ah, very good source of info, thank you. I just use my tap water, which is well-sourced, but never had a problem before with the EC-1118. Perhaps with less aggressive yeasts I need to step it up to a water that's more sanitized.

RC212 is definitely a proven winner. So hopefully it blows off like Gentile said. How much dried Cab grapes did you add?
I did this blend last September and had similar issues. Not so much “vomit” smell- but definitely an ‘off odor’. It was a neglected fresh juice pail that took off on its own. Added about 15lbs of Cabernet fruit.
When I transferred I was as rough as possible hoping to release any unwanted odors. No pumps or siphoning. I scooped the grapes out with a strainer and dumped into the carboy through a funnel.
Some blew off at first but came back. A very very raw smell that lingered for long while. Now 10 months later it has finally dissipated and is starting to smell and taste extremely inviting. So maybe the actual varietals play a big part like CK55 mentions.
Grenache, Syrah, Cab sounds like a great blend to me. I guess that would be considered Rhonè style? Not sure. Mine is Chateaunef du Pape (endless list of potential blends) so no idea of the actual blend. But I’m pretty sure Grenache and Syrah make up the lions share.
My Grenache/Syrah smelled bad for the entire week of primary. Like vegetal and like vomit and sort of stinky overall, and as soon as secondary was over it smelled fruity and fantastic.

Yes, I spent some time perusing WineFolly about the combo before I bought it, they said the same thing. They even said that blending with cab is a thing in (France?), I think. So my dried cab grapes should be a hit. Already had the oak at the ready, and plenty of #9 corks to spare. ;)

AkTom - if it wasn't so darned expensive to ship a bottle of wine I'd propose an exchange program for a large number of us.
Fedex allows wine and beer shipping and its really cheap, i can ship a bottle of wine for $5.00 with standard fedex home or like $10 for 4 bottles of beer.

Could only get my paws on 2.5oz of dried cab. A handful, but I figure it's better than nothing. Have you bulk aged for ten months, or is this in the bottle?

CK55 - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the end of fermentation then. And I wish I had a fedex place near me, we just have "pickup stations" in my town. Otherwise UPS wants $20 to ship and $10 for the special wine box.

Could only get my paws on 2.5oz of dried cab. A handful, but I figure it's better than nothing. Have you bulk aged for ten months, or is this in the bottle?

CK55 - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the end of fermentation then. And I wish I had a fedex place near me, we just have "pickup stations" in my town. Otherwise UPS wants $20 to ship and $10 for the special wine box.
I have multiple fedex places as the hub is in my city and the county USPS hub is also in my city, and UPS also has a hub as im right next to a airport that both of them use.
It will clear up, patience and a bit of time. Also I age my wines in the bottle after clarifying.

Just wanted to clear up a few things:

What i have to say about Syrah(Shiraz) is that Shiraz is just mainly the european name for it in the US its mostly just referred to as Syrah

In Europe, this grape is known exclusively as "Syrah." It is known as "Shiraz" in Australia.

Yes, I spent some time perusing WineFolly about the combo before I bought it, they said the same thing. They even said that blending with cab is a thing in (France?), I think.

Cab is essentially never blended with Syrah in the Old World. There are many successful Cab/Syrah (usually along with Merlot) blends in the Pacific Northwest of the US.

Syrah is indeed a mainstay in Rhône wines. In the north, Rhône wines are nearly all Syrah, often with a small amount of Viognier. In the south, it is common to blend with Grenache, Carignan, or Mourvedre (and sometimes Cinsault). GSM is perhaps the most common blend.

There are indeed, many allowed varieties in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. (13, if memory serves.) Cab is not one of them, as it comes from a much different region (Bordeaux). But I agree that GSC sounds like a fine blend.

Just wanted to clear up a few things:

In Europe, this grape is known exclusively as "Syrah." It is known as "Shiraz" in Australia.

Cab is essentially never blended with Syrah in the Old World. There are many successful Cab/Syrah (usually along with Merlot) blends in the Pacific Northwest of the US.

Syrah is indeed a mainstay in Rhône wines. In the north, Rhône wines are nearly all Syrah, often with a small amount of Viognier. In the south, it is common to blend with Grenache, Carignan, or Mourvedre (and sometimes Cinsault). GSM is perhaps the most common blend.

There are indeed, many allowed varieties in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. (13, if memory serves.) Cab is not one of them, as it comes from a much different region (Bordeaux). But I agree that GSC sounds like a fine blend.

Ive gotten many wines from france with Shiraz on the label, just saying. But yeah in California especially we do see both, but Napa is more Shiraz all the old wineries near me dont use that name. Matter of fact i live near the oldest winery in California. They make some good stuff.

Actually it’s now officially 18 varietals ! None were added- but some varietals were further broken down listing the “noirs” , “blancs” , and “rosès” individually in the 2009 AOC official designations. And I didn’t mean to insinuate Cabs are included in Chat. Du Pape. I just added some cab because I had em from another batch.
So if labels are made then we can add ‘Bordeaux’ under the ‘Côtes-du-Rhône’ or ‘Chateauneuf-du-Pape’ and have the wines appear even more complex!
IMG_3139.jpg

Latest posts

Back