Just made first beginner error

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemi1982

Junior
Reaction score
Hi just made my first beginners mistake I started to make a 6 bottle Malbec wine used a 5ltr demijohn thinking if I fill up to 4.5 it will be ok… not ok as it’s foaming up and overflowing my airlocks.. I’ve taken a bit out the demijohn but still overflowing… changed 3 airlocks within a hour… wished I used my 10ltr bucket now…
Any ideas what I should do.. can I leave it to calm down then fit a new airlock, emtpty more out,

Hi Leemi1982,

Welcome to WMT!

If your must/wine is foaming up, you are probably doing your primary fermentation. If that is the case, you do not necessarily need an airlock. If it is the initial alcohol (primary) fermentation, you can dump it in a bucket and cover it with a lid or towel. Once the fermentation dies down you can move it to the demijohn with an airlock.

Since this is a red, is it fermenting on the skins? Is there a cap?

And don't be too worried... Making mistakes is part of the learning process, and this one was not "fatal", the wine will still be good! Just a mess, and probably not the last. But in a few months you will be reaping the rewards of your efforts... and that's worth a mess or two!

@Leemi1982, welcome to WMT!

On the plus side, you have discovered one mistake that you'll never make again! ;) [As noted, you are not the first person to do this and you are far from the last that will.]

It's best to ferment in an open container, as yeast uses O2 for reproduction AND you're less likely to overflow the container. As a general rule, use a food grade bucket that's no more than 75% full, to provide room for expansion. Cover the bucket with a towel to keep stuff out.

I've been using Five Star TQ-F7PW-ZG8E Defoamer for years, 1 or 2 drops per gallon, to control foaming. I've seen no discussion on whether people think it is a good idea or not, but it works well for me.

I've been using Five Star TQ-F7PW-ZG8E Defoamer for years, 1 or 2 drops per gallon, to control foaming. I've seen no discussion on whether people think it is a good idea or not, but it works well for me.
I wasn't aware of the product, as no one else has mentioned it. What does it do, break the surface tension?

Latest posts

Back