Just Joined

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulione

Reaction score
Good Morning, strickly a novice winemaker, I have had success in both Beer and Distillation areas, but never making wine.
I received nearly all of the necessities for making wine from a passing family member, the only thing I think I am short of is a 10 gal. fermentation tub. I have a 5 gal unit, but also included is a 60 bottle kit of Merlot. which will require the 10 gal. unit.
Patiently I want to start and read your posts, hopefully to find some guidance, am really looking forward to the venture.
Thanks for adding me to your group.

I suggest visiting winemaking.jackkeller.net for loads of information
also visit morewinemaking.com. scroll to resources and copy red and white winemaing manuals.

also visit morewinemaking.com. scroll to resources and copy red and white winemaing manuals.

Welcome to the forum!

You say you have a 60 bottle kit but is what you have actually two 30 bottle kits? Most all the kits I'm familiar with are 23L (~6 gal.) 30 bottle kits.

Also, for a 23L kit i believe you'll find most of us here using a 7.5 gallon fermentation bucket or even larger for when we have grape skin kits or are making fruit wines [for a 30 bottle yeild]..

. I have a 5 gal unit, but also included is a 60 bottle kit of Merlot. which will require the 10 gal. unit.

Welcome to wine side- you can now stop any beer or distilling nonsense. It’s all wine now. Any meathead can throw some ingredients together and have beer in a couple months. But winemaking takes time, finesse and is an art IMO.
But somethings off with your numbers. Either mistaken or a typo. 60 bottles is 12 gal. So at minimum you’d need a 15 gal fermentor. But as bkisel mentioned- that’s an odd size. Typically biggest kits are 6 gal.

Hint to all us Yankees: They use Imperial gallons up north. 6 US gallons is very, very close to 5 Imperial gallons.

Yeah, but us wine making Yanks do think in terms of liters for bottles and wine kits. That part of the posting still has me confused.

Welcome to wine side- you can now stop any beer or distilling nonsense. It’s all wine now. Any meathead can throw some ingredients together and have beer in a couple months. But winemaking takes time, finesse and is an art IMO.
But somethings off with your numbers. Either mistaken or a typo. 60 bottles is 12 gal. So at minimum you’d need a 15 gal fermentor. But as bkisel mentioned- that’s an odd size. Typically biggest kits are 6 gal.
I think you are right - there are 2 boxes that are within the "Cello-Wrap" package. I have not opened the package yet, just put it on the shelf. That being the case, I will only start with one of the containers.
I thank you all for the welcome, that alone is encouraging. I will agree on the Beer vs Wine efforts, it does not take a lot of effort to produce a good Beer product, just time as in anything else.
Thanks again, ya'll have a good one!

I think you are right - there are 2 boxes that are within the "Cello-Wrap" package. I have not opened the package yet, just put it on the shelf. That being the case, I will only start with one of the containers.
I thank you all for the welcome, that alone is encouraging. I will agree on the Beer vs Wine efforts, it does not take a lot of effort to produce a good Beer product, just time as in anything else.
Thanks again, ya'll have a good one!

Once you open em all up and take some inventory I’m sure you’ll have some more clarity as to what’s exactly needed.
For the record I’ve got nothing against beer brewing. Just playing it up to convert ya. My brother in law brews some amazing beer, and Ive drank many others who fall short. It’s all an art. Wine is just better!

Once you open em all up and take some inventory I’m sure you’ll have some more clarity as to what’s exactly needed.
For the record I’ve got nothing against beer brewing. Just playing it up to convert ya. My brother in law brews some amazing beer, and Ive drank many others who fall short. It’s all an art. Wine is just better!
The family that passed away produced en excellant product, she was a real student of the craft - we did compare procedures, and basically it all came down to time - time spent and time for the product to develop. Hopefully I can follow in her steps, should have been more attentive.
Thanks loads/;

Good Morning: Due to a unfortunate incident, I had to shelve the wine making venture for the past couple of months, but we are back on track and hope to start this coming week.
I did have a shopping list, so we will start there tomorrow, this will be the required sanitizers and sterilants. Following the reading material of Jack Keller, we should have the primary fermenter ready by the middle of the week.
I did split the kit that we received, and the first venture will only be one kit - (5 gals) and see how that goes and see how many mistakes I will make.
Hope I don't bore you all with the questions, there will be many, complex to me - simple to yourselves.
Thanks again for all of the help, and your patience.

Since I missed your first postings, welcome (back)!
Make sure you check the dates on the kit - it is recommended that you start it within one year from the date on it but there are many stories of kits lasting much longer. Also, the yeast may need replacing - the date is stamped on the packet.
Best of luck with the first batch - it'll be enjoyable for you.

Since I missed your first postings, welcome (back)!
Make sure you check the dates on the kit - it is recommended that you start it within one year from the date on it but there are many stories of kits lasting much longer. Also, the yeast may need replacing - the date is stamped on the packet.
Best of luck with the first batch - it'll be enjoyable for you.

Thank you for the heads up, I opened up all of the data and enclosures that are in the kit, no dates on any products, I will call and see if anyone can tell me when the kit was purchased. There are items in the kit that I have never heard of before, this will be a quick learning curve for sure.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back