Just going to say this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
The reason all the kits have sorbate and K meta in them is because people bottle and drink the stuff right away. They are not needed. If you dont back sweeten sorbate serves no purpose but to add a little bit of bubble gum flavor to wine. If you dont want to use K Meta you can work around it. It is best used as an anti oxidant and not yeast control. With proper cleanliness and oxygen controls you can go without. I do. It isnt risky at all. Only batch of wine, I made, in last 2 years that went bad had K meta in it. Wine making with proper aging need never worry about re fermenting, because you dont care. It does not hurt when re fermenting happens in bulk aging. I know everyone is going to jump on me again for this post but so be it. Drink preservatives if you like. I dont need the extra stuff in my wine or mead. Alcohol will pickle you just fine!!!!:HB

So what is the purpose of this post then unless you are trying to provoke a response to it? We all know how you feel about the subject and you know how most of the forum here feels about it. If it works for you and you like the way the wine turns out you have every right to keep making your wine that way. It will in fact do just as you say a good share of the time, but not always.

It is in new wine maker section and meant to inform new people. Ya you know how I feel, but new people only see add, add, add, so I post dont dont dont have to

You also make all your wine with very high abv's and being at higher levels means you dont need as much or any kmeta, the lower the abv and the lower the acidity the more you need kmeta! Ph also has a lot to do with how unstable a wine can be. Meads on the other hand are much less susceptible to oxidation as honey is hard to spoil so its much safer as far as not needing to add kmeta to it.

If your a new winemaker and thinking about not using sorbate and kmeta read up well before deciding NOT to use it, can it be done absolutely but in many conditions its not recommended.

Well this is interesting because I am fighting with this exact thing right now. Not so much whether to use it, but how much and when. I usually get the response, "buy a tester or meter". I understand this would be a great way to check, but don't have the $200-$300 to drop on one right now.
So in the mean time, trying to figure out when to add K-Meta and how much. I usually add some when starting in the primary, but then don't know what protocol to follow. With most of my wines being 12-14 ABV, maybe I don't need to worry about it.

Well this is interesting because I am fighting with this exact thing right now. Not so much whether to use it, but how much and when. I usually get the response, "buy a tester or meter". I understand this would be a great way to check, but don't have the $200-$300 to drop on one right now.
So in the mean time, trying to figure out when to add K-Meta and how much. I usually add some when starting in the primary, but then don't know what protocol to follow. With most of my wines being 12-14 ABV, maybe I don't need to worry about it.

D.J.

After your wine is done fermenting, add your k-meta and every three months after that.

Well said Wade, Read Read Read.
I only use sorbate in one wine that I make, and if the levels of ph and free so2 is correct I have to add very little.

Do you just add the K-Meta in to wine, or does it need to dissolved in say a 1/4 cup of water?

You can get a cheap "ripper" test kit for around 10 bucks, it does not work as well with red wines as it does with whites.. But, it will still give you a general idea.

The RJS kits I've done just had me add directly to the wine and stir. The one MM kit I did instructed me to dissolve in so many ML (forget how many) of water, then add and then stir.

D.J.

After your wine is done fermenting, add your k-meta and every three months after that.

What if I rack it every 30 days, ie: getting it off of oak, or cinammon, or vanilla, etc.?
That is my big concern. I have some elderberry and Welch's that has been on oak for 30 days. I tasted it and it needs to get off that. Not sure if I needed to K-meta for that and if it is cleared up in another 30 days(just throwing that out hypothetically) would I K-meta it again.

You also make all your wine with very high abv's and being at higher levels means you dont need as much or any kmeta, the lower the abv and the lower the acidity the more you need kmeta! Ph also has a lot to do with how unstable a wine can be. Meads on the other hand are much less susceptible to oxidation as honey is hard to spoil so its much safer as far as not needing to add kmeta to it.

If your a new winemaker and thinking about not using sorbate and kmeta read up well before deciding NOT to use it, can it be done absolutely but in many conditions its not recommended.
I am getting much better at choosing yeast with lower alcohol tolerances :)

Pete, I bulk age in corney kegs and have no o2 exposer so I don't need it. If you are bulk aging in carboys under airlock I would use 1/4 teaspoon to 5 gallons.

What if I rack it every 30 days, ie: getting it off of oak, or cinammon, or vanilla, etc.?
That is my big concern. I have some elderberry and Welch's that has been on oak for 30 days. I tasted it and it needs to get off that. Not sure if I needed to K-meta for that and if it is cleared up in another 30 days(just throwing that out hypothetically) would I K-meta it again.

If you have added oak, vanilla, etc. rack when you need to get it off of there, if you had added k-meta the month prior, do not add it now, then I would rack in 2 months now you are back on schedule for every three months.

Latest posts

Back