just a question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry

Reaction score
Hello folks I started a pinot noir last saturday I fallowed the instructions. But there is no activity in the air lock.I opened the lid today you could see tiny bubbles coming to the top. I checked SG and its seems to be fermenting. I was just wondering why there is no bubbles coming out the air lock like the other kits i have done? Thank you and all you have a wonderful day..

What type of vessel are you using? I have a big mouth bubbler with a screw on lid and sometimes there's just enough of a gap round the rim to keep the airlock from bubbling. This just happened the other day. I started a batch of Riesling-Traminer and everything seemed good except for the lack of the satisfying sound of gas coming through the airlock. A quick loosening of the collar, re-positioning the top plate and tightening back up did the trick. I hardly finished the job and she was percolating nicely. Also check to make sure your bung is in good and snug.

It doesn't take much of a leak to prevent the airlock from working.

I have it in a 7 gal. bucket with the lid on tight

Those lids don't always seal very well, Larry. You are probably fine. You actually do not NEED to use a lid and airlock at this stage; you can just cover it with a towel or something to keep dust and critters out.

I have not fermented in a bucket so I am not much help, but I would suggest pulling the lid, checking for any irregularities and then put it back on good and tight. A light stir early in the ferment will often kick up the CO2 discharge and might give a hint to where the air is going, if not through the airlock.

If you did the basics correctly then take off the lid cover the too with a towel and walk awaw in 8 hrs your fermentation should be strong..

As stated,

1) A sealed container is not needed - just cover to keep out bugs, dust and debris
AND
2) Bucket lids frequently don't really seal - a very common thing

Oxygen is a funny thing.
You need during fermentation.
After fermentation it is your enemy.

Also, check the temperature of the juice.
It should be at about 70 degrees.

Also, some yeasts don't ferment like crazy.
If you changed your yeast it may not act like other batches you experienced.

Always monitor the smell of your juice.
Add Fermaid K to help the yeast.

so you pitched you yeast 6 days prior to the original post?

ok, a couple of thoughts...

- What is the temperature of the wine? It seems to me that at 6 days, you should be going like gang-busters. If your temp is 65 degrees or higher, you could be dealing with bad yeast.

- do you know the level of SO2 you have and the SO2 tolerance of your yeast? Some yeasts are less tolerant of SO2.

- What is the current SG? Is it at all possible that you are observing the tail end of fermentation?

- Performing an open (lid off) or closed (lid on) fermentation seems to be a matter of preference. I am an open fermentation guy myself. I do not believe that having the lid on will effect the rate of fermentation much.

Latest posts

Back