RJ Spagnols Jumping Back In To Wine Kit Making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetGlide

Reaction score
Hello. Been kicking the idea around about getting back into making wine, it’s been about 10 years. I decided to take the plunge and just purchased a new equipment kit and a RJS Primuer Trio Red Kit. I really want to do nothing but high end skin kits when doing reds, but while waiting for these kits to age for 18-24 months is there anything worth making that could be ready in say 9-12 months so I don’t get the urge to sample to often while waiting for the better wines to mature? Thank you, and I’m looking forward to learning a lot more.

An unoaked white wine is drinkable pretty fast. Otherwise, if I’m in a hurry for something red I’ll make a vintners reserve but to 5.5 gallons. I liked the Diablo Rojo and plan to make another batch this year.

Go for ligher style reds, in a 12 L kit the Cru International BC Pinot Noir is nicely drinkable in 6-8 months. I normally keep some on hand even though I now have lots of 2 year + aged 18L red kits.

Thank you for the replies. I remember quite a while ago I made a GC Intl. Italian Primativo that was really good at about 10 months. I see that’s no longer made.

Just started a Diablo Rojo Kit tonight. Thanks for the advice. Was surprised by the amount of oak for a 10L Kit.

Just started a Diablo Rojo Kit tonight. Thanks for the advice. Was surprised by the amount of oak for a 10L Kit.

Yeah you get a few more goodies in that kit, but it’s more expensive. There is also a sweetener pack, how much (if any) of that you want to add is up to you. I don’t believe I added any to mine.

Yeah you get a few more goodies in that kit, but it’s more expensive. There is also a sweetener pack, how much (if any) of that you want to add is up to you. I don’t believe I added any to mine.

If I add it at all it will be no more then half. I do not want a sweet wine but my fiancé enjoys an off dry.

I just bottled a Cru Select zin that’s pretty tasty, if very simple at 9 months.

Also(and this makes no sense) I also bottled an En Primeur Nebbiolo that’s very light and tasty at 9 months. Why a nebbiolo would be light or tasty that early is beyond me. In fact, it tastes like no Nebbiolo I’ve ever had. I’ve even wondered if it was somehow the wrong juice in the box. Nebbiolo should sure not be light. Don’t get me wrong. It’s very good, especially this early, and I will surely make it again. But I won’t expect it to be a “real” Nebbiolo.

Jbo

Don’t think I’ve ever had a kit in 7 weeks taste like this Diablo Rojo. Im not saying by any means it’s great, it’s definitely not, but it does not have that young wine kit taste at all. Hopefully in a couple months I’ll like it more but I think most would call this drinkable.

Not sure that’s a raving review. [emoji12]. I’d have to look at my tweaks I did to mine. I still think I’ll make another batch of Diablo this year. There was just something about it...

Not sure that’s a raving review. [emoji12]. I’d have to look at my tweaks I did to mine. I still think I’ll make another batch of Diablo this year. There was just something about it...

Lol...I actually think it’s going to be a decent table wine in a few months. I had not made a wine kit in years and decided to do one that was cheap with decent reviews just to get reacquainted sort of speak. I would definitely recommend this kit as an early drinker for those looking to put something in a glass in a couple months.

Lol...I actually think it’s going to be a decent table wine in a few months. I had not made a wine kit in years and decided to do one that was cheap with decent reviews just to get reacquainted sort of speak. I would definitely recommend this kit as an early drinker for those looking to put something in a glass in a couple months.

I like it. Diablo Rojo is the one red wine kit that I make regularly. Want to make sure there is always a bottle available. :)

I started drinking mine right away. It had a very berry forward taste to it. My buddy said it tasted like gummy worms. I was never really sure why he thought that, but he never refused a glass.

Latest posts

Back