Jump Starting a slow/stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Recently started a 4 gallon batch using frozen concentrate from "Hawaiis Own", I have used their product before with great results. None the less, I sarted with an SG of 1.100, on purpose. It took 3 days for fermentation to begin and then it just sort of lugged along, very slow, very few bubbles, etc. After 8 days it had only came down to 1.080. I don't know what caused this, could have been a number of things.
Determined to make it work, (I used Cotes de Blanc initially), I rehydrated a sachet of Cuvee and tossed it in. Within a half an hour it "fired" right up. Now, 24 hrs later it is cooking right along, nice foam, lots of fizz, etc.
This is the first time I did the jump start, and it worked as "prescribed".
Because there are two sachets of yeast involved, and different strains as well, can I expect any off flavors? Is it going to be "yeasty, or will the cuvee and the cotes both ferment out?
Incidentally, the only things different from any other wine I have started, was this batch I used rain water, and the temperature in the cabin was around 65 at night. One of these factors may have been involved, not sure. But it has been resurected.
Troy

Latest posts

Back