Juicers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikev63

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone processed there fruit (Apple, Pears, etc...) in a juicer and used the juice and put the pulp in a bag in the fermenter?

I tried this method with a five gallon batch of pear this past August. The only issue I had was very slow in clearing, it is still bulk aging and has cleared pretty well over the last few months. Not sure if that was due to the process or due to the pears in general.

My understanding with pear is that it requires a long aging process and from what I have seen I believe it.

I have a STEAM juicer that works out great!
picture.php
[/IMG]

Wow, thats a great looking unit Tom, is that the one you have? Do you use any of the pupl leftover?

That is a nice piece of equipment and the price isn't really outrageous.

Looks like a great site to, gonna have to take a look through it later on.

Troy

Thats the 1 I have. Make sure you get STAINLESS and not aluminum.
Pulp stays in the steamer

So you dont use the pulp in the actual fermentation?

Theres some great stuff on that site. Great link to have in my collection.

The Steam sucks all the juice out of the fruit. the pulp stays behind. Once its done there is no sugar/flavor in the pulp. I toss it. What you have is juice. I add the hot juice th canning jars and use it when I have time and available carboys.

I own the same one.

Tom is right, it drains the juice out of the fruit and you are left with a juice and pulp.
You would not use the pulp in winemaking.
The juice however can be stored for a long time as it is pasteurised by the steaming process.

The unit is great for soft fruit like plums, elderberries and blackberries.
Hard fruit like apples and pears can better be pressed as the gain will be lower on these fruit when using the steamer.

Also remember that the fruit will be steamed. So the juice gained is diluted with water.

Luc

Latest posts

Back