Juicer and Juice Quantity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should be getting my juicer today and this has me thinking, I know thats a dangerous proposistion. The general rule of thumb is 3-5 lbs of fruit per gallon of wine. When making juice, how do you determine the amount of juice from the juicer to use? Is it the same base amount being whatever juice you would get from 5 lbs of fruit per gallon?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

Mods please move to equipment category if that would be a better place for this.

Last edited:
I should be getting my juicer today and this has me thinking, I know thats a dangerous proposistion. The general rule of thumb is 3-5 lbs of fruit per gallon of wine. When making juice, how do you determine the amount of juice from the juicer to use? Is it the same base amount being whatever juice you would get from 5 lbs of fruit per gallon?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

Mods please move to equipment category if that would be a better place for this.

So far I've gone a bit higher. For example, if I would normally use 3#/g for a ferment, I use the juice from 4 or 5#.

My logic is that there will be less extraction from skins.

I have none that's actually finished yet, so I don't know if this logic holds or not.

So far I've gone a bit higher. For example, if I would normally use 3#/g for a ferment, I use the juice from 4 or 5#.

My logic is that there will be less extraction from skins.

I don't have a juicer (yet; it's on my list!), but would there be value in fermenting the juice on the skins?

I am in the process making Blueberry wine from steamed juice. The color is DARK so the color is also extracted in steaming.

First Time Juicer

I've been thinking about getting a steam juicer, and mentioned that to my wine-making partner. He surprised me be saying that he had just received a juicer as a gift and I was welcome to try it out. Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I got the juicer yesterday morning -- Victorio SS 9.5-qt. Nice unit, seems well made.

Of course I wanted to try out the juicer immediately, but unfortunately didn't have any fruit handy. My wife informed me that Walmart has Bing cherries on sale for a really good price, so I stopped by there and bought about 7 lbs; also checked the local fruit stand, bought 12 lbs of red delicious apples. Last night we played with the juicer and fruit, got about 3.5 ltrs juice from the apples and a bit over 1 ltr from the cherries. Then we took the pulp and made apple butter (added a bit of cinammon and honey) and cherry butter (had to sweeten that a bit to overcome the tartness!); end result was zero waste (except for the apple cores and cherry pits).

After the juices cooled we did some tasting and decided to blend the apple and cherry together. Wife kept enough for breakfast, the rest will start a wine batch this morning.

I'll return the juicer this weekend -- but I'll definitely be getting one of these for my own!

Latest posts

Back