Juice price

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using the wild yeast that's in the pail or are you adding yeast?

I ask because when I moved my juice to an 8 gallon pail for fermentation, it almost bubbled over. That was with red star champagne yeast.

I have done both. I don't believe it is wild yeast in the buckets, it certainly could be. I know some bucket manufacturers say they add yeast (my guess EC-1118) and my gut says most of them add yeast.

Rusty, if you are considering additional fermenters for larger batches of the same variety or blends of two or more varieties, think about these. Can't beat the price, food safe and Rubbermaid quality. I use the 20 gallon for triple batches and a 32 gallon for quad batched.

Also, don't buy the dolly. Go to Harbor Freight and get a 1000 pound capacity furniture dolly for about $10.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberm...ey-Round-Trash-Can-with-Lid-2031186/100211748

Or maybe it's because 5.3 US gallons is equal to 20.0 liters, and most of the world uses liters. :D

Although I agree that is convenient.

It’s Regina juice from Central Valley California. Distributed specifically for homewinemakers. Even the Regina website references the 5gal carboy I believe.

If it’s not intentional it sure is convenient.

I hope I can drop in here with a question not directly related to your topic. But, you guys seem knowledgable so I thought you might answer a question for me. My favorite Cabernet, before I tried making my wine, was Menage a Trois, Decadence. It is made with cherry, blackberry and it has a dark chocolate added. If I tried to add some dark chocolate, how much would I need for 5 gallons to have just a hint of dark chocolate?
I am a beginner and have just racked my first 5 gallon kit for aging yesterday.

I have done both. I don't believe it is wild yeast in the buckets, it certainly could be. I know some bucket manufacturers say they add yeast (my guess EC-1118) and my gut says most of them add yeast.
L’uva Bella has handed me a packet of the EC-1118 with each bucket. I now have it in the fridge storing and waiting for a reason to use it. I just spend the 75¢ at the local brew shop and get what I want.

I like Luva Bella and I haven't found better juice buckets than their Italian line. I still question whether I am actually getting purely that grape's juice, but for the price - you can't beat it. Collinwood in Cleveland has a new premium juice from Washington (whites only)I but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I think they are running $80-85/pail. If you would start with actual true grapes it would be $35-50/38lb case x 3 cases to get 6 gallons of juice... Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back