Juice delivery day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36973

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
In case anyone wondered how wineries receive and transport moderate volumes of bulk wine or juice, this is one way it is done. This is a refrigerated truck with five 550-gallon tanks installed in it that comes with a hydraulic pump and a long line of 2-in hoses. The truck also can hold a dozen 60-gal drums. The juice is pumped from the transporting tank right into a fermenting tank. Larger volumes of single varietal juice come in 4000 gallon milk trucks.
trucks.delivery_truck.jpgpump_into_tank.jpg

So where does this juice come from at this time of year? Interesting how it's delivered. From here you ferment, or is it already bulk wine?
The juice is from last season. This company (Walkers Wine Juice, in New York) processes loads of grapes in the fall and then stores the juice near freezing to supply wineries on east coast and midwest year-round. It comes as grape juice that has been sweetened up to 21 brix if necessary so the wineries can then ferment it themselves. They also will ship you 5 gallon containers of the juice for home winemaking for about the cost of a kit.

Made a 5 gallon Gewurztraminer batch from Walkers. It's the best white I've ever done. My local HBS made a run up there last fall and I got the last one in stock.

Latest posts

Back