juice concentrates

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
I have a 24oz sample of 65brix blackberry concentrate.

pH 3.0 - 4.0
acid 2.0 - 6.0
ratio 7.2:1, water:concentrate (to 10brix)
harvested & pressed at 10-12brix

The question:
Using 180oz (1.4g) reconstitued juice, would you just ferment the pure juice, or dilute to the same ratio you would get using berries.

When I juice blackberries, I get roughly .5q/#. @4#/g, that would be 2q/g, or 50/50 dilution with water. I would basically be using the 1.4g in a 3g batch. I have enough berries to throw some in for genuine skin contact.

To me this seems similar to VH, but with more juice than VH provides. My VH blackberry can was 96oz/3q + a few berries of nonconcentrated juice.

Thats 3q in a 3g batch, or 1q juice per gallon for VH.

To me, this seems like twice the amount of juice as VH - the equiv of two VH cans in 3g. So far, I'm pleased with the VH done in a 3g batch, but it's still VERY young.

I'll definitely go slowly while diluting to make sure I don't render it useless ...

Thoughts?

I'm evaluating this product as a potential alternative to depending on mother nature for blackberries. She's too fickle.

I would water down to an sg of about 1.095 or there abouts also watching the acidity to keep that in range.

I would water down to an sg of about 1.095 or there abouts also watching the acidity to keep that in range.

hmmmm. That would be roughly double strength juice. I'll have to think about that.

Thanx for the input

Latest posts

Back