Juice concentrates from Coloma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
Rather than updating an old thread where I kinda deviated from the OP, I thought I should start a new one.

I had a problem with Coloma in that they sent me what I assumed was the wrong juice. Here is the original:

NEVER AGAIN ! This is "Black Raspberry" Flavored Concentrate? I don't think so!!!

So I have finally got around to getting back to you on the quality of the 2nd shipment of peach from Coloma that they sent at no cost. I have to say it wasn't as peachy as I had hoped but it is brewing some delicious wine. I'm sure it is 100% peach juice but I think maybe the peaches were not as ripe as we would like when they were juiced.

So my oldest 5 gal batch is now 9 weeks old and very tasty. Since I don't have access to actual peaches, or a press, I would probably buy this juice again if I ever want to make more.

I was happy enuf with the company that I just purchased 12 qts of their sweet cherry concentrate, which I have just started to use – I'll be pitching the yeast today. This was excellent juice with a good strong cherry favor when diluted as suggested – 1 qt reconstitutes to 1 gal.. I also added 7 ½ lbs of frozen sweet cherries from Walmart to the 8 gal primary.

Again, the company is very responsive. I ordered the juice on 1/25 in the evening and it was at my door on 1/28. That was Michigan to South Central MO via UPS.

I expect to order from them in the future.

I hope this is useful info for someone.

I am of the belief that two things work against us buying commercial products.
First, they have very specific health standards they have to follow with some things as their products don't often have the benefit of high acid, SO2 and Alcohol to keep the product safe.. (Unlike someone on our forum who works in a winery mentioned their broad limits of what can go into a grape wine process.)
We on the other hand can pick fruit that is right on the edge (Which is the perfect peach for wine) when sugar, flavor and aroma are peaking. I prefer my peaches to be getting a little soft with a few small bruises - meaning they ain't getting any riper or sweeter. If I eat one I expect the have juice running down my chin onto my shirt. I want it really juicy and ripe.

Secondly they pick in massive quantities and their fruit is not going to be perfectly ripe NOR does it need to have any rich aroma to it. Much is used in food flavoring too.

Finally I believe that peaches are one of the wine varieties where the aroma makes the wine so much more appealing and that aroma only comes picking the right fruit (see above) and processing your wine carefully. To hot a ferment temp and you can blow off a lot of elements like the aroma.

So places like Coloma are great for some fruits and at certain times of the year like NOW in the middle of winter, but they can fall short with some fruits compared to fresh picked sources. Having said that, I think your cherry wine has an excellent chance being awesome. I've been making my Tart (And I do mean TART) Cherry wine from concentrate and the flavor is really really good. ( I'm using the concentrate quantity intended for 4 gallons to make a 3 gallon batch)

So don't lose hope. Perhaps increase the concentrations on your batches and chose the varieties carefully. I don't think any store bought wine juice will EVER compare to my Wild Black Raspberries or Wild Blackberries but that's another topic.

I have made 3 previous batches of cherry using a combination of tart concentrate and frozen sweet cherries. The results have been my favorite wines. I added some vanilla extract to the last batch and I would drink that before any other wine I've made or bought.

I don't have access to fresh cherries but can't imagine a more robust flavor than this sweet cherry juice I just got from Coloma. I expect it to be the best I've made.

I want to try the apricot, how much concentrate would I need for a 5 gallon batch? How much sugar? I've only ever used fresh or frozen fruit from my trees.

To make 5 gallons at what they call regular strength. you would need just under 3 qts. More if you want to make it stronger.

Sugar would be up to you depending on the ABV you are shooting for.

They offer samples that are about 1.5 ounces which would be enough to reconstitute to see how you like it. I would suggest asking for a sample of what ever you think you might want to try. They sent me 4 or 5 samples and didn't even charge for shipping but I had already bought 36 quarts from them. I'm not sure if they do that for anyone, but even if they charge shipping it would be worth it to know what you are getting before making a larger order.

i got peaches going now from colomafrozen, and come fall good Lord willing,,, i have several of my own peach trees, pear and elderberry, and neighbors with more fruits, on peach i went 12 quarts to 10 gallon water, smells great, time will tell with taste, fixing to do tart cherry from colomafrozen on them, 21 gallon with aim at 18 finish,,,
Dawg

Last edited:
Someone else recently posted here on WMT that Coloma Frozen was about to start selling wine grape concentrate, looked like 5 reds and 5 whites if memory serves, going up for sale in April or May. Pretty cool way for kit wine makers to maybe try wine grapes without the crusher/de-stemmer and press, or paying for shipping on a whole bucket.

Someone else recently posted here on WMT that Coloma Frozen was about to start selling wine grape concentrate, looked like 5 reds and 5 whites if memory serves, going up for sale in April or May. Pretty cool way for kit wine makers to maybe try wine grapes without the crusher/de-stemmer and press, or paying for shipping on a whole bucket.
that was @silverbullet07 and i think they said 4 reds and 4 whites, but they already got one white but i know nothing about it,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back