juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outbackmac

Reaction score
latley ive been having issues with wine sediment in my bottles after bottling. wine has sat in carboys for 12-18 months. was wondering if when doing the juice buckets if anyone has added bentonite in the begining? reason i ask is i have heard it can be used for slearing wines.

latley ive been having issues with wine sediment in my bottles after bottling. wine has sat in carboys for 12-18 months. was wondering if when doing the juice buckets if anyone has added bentonite in the begining? reason i ask is i have heard it can be used for slearing wines.

Haven't used clearing agents of any sort on grapes or juice in years with no issues. That amount of time should be plenty sufficient for your wines to clear before bottling. What is the environment that you bulk age in compared to the environment that you store your bottles in?

I know kits instruct you to add bentonite to the must before fermentation- and likely where most people got the idea from. But adding that in the beginning - or any clearing agents at all for that matter- seem unnecessary. Especially when aging in bulk for that long with regular rackings. (I actually don’t rack as often the older it gets. If no sediment- then I’m fine skipping.
Personally- I didn’t even know clearing agents existed until I did my 1st kit. Haven’t ever used em otherwise tho.
I think most home winemakers will get the occasional batch that has some sediment in the bottle. So 12-18 months and clear- no more sediment dropping and then how long till it forms in the bottle?

Latest posts

Back