Juice buckets with added grapes.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevew1

Reaction score
I have made wine from juice buckets and had great success, I am looking to add a lug or two of grapes this season. Since I don't have a crusher what would be a easy method to remove the skins etc? I was thinking of some type of cheese cloth- pantyhose combination. Has anyone used a system that works well?

I have made wine from juice buckets and had great success, I am looking to add a lug or two of grapes this season. Since I don't have a crusher what would be a easy method to remove the skins etc? I was thinking of some type of cheese cloth- pantyhose combination. Has anyone used a system that works well?

There’s so many different ways I’ve seen done. Depends on the size of the batch and what kinda equipment ya got tho.
I’ve lined a 7.9gal with a mesh “brew bag” for the entire ferment before. Once dry I just pulled out bag with all the solids in it, tied in a know and put into a homemade “bucket press”

Also you could leave the floating grape skin cap in place towards the end of the ferment, stopping punch downs above 1.000, then insert your racking cake through cap siphoning the liquid from underneath.
Have also done the cheesecloth/funnel/bucket route too. It works but messy. And clogs up quick. Need a lot of cheesecloth

the effort should be to crush the grapes remove the stems and keep the skins and pulp to place in the juice bucket. the skins of grapes plus the seeds provide the desired addition of tannin to the grape.

Back