Juice bucket mixed results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up 2 pails of Chilean juice at my local supplier tomorrow. Planning on adding a lug of CabSav between the buckets. Destemming by hand. Has anyone tried using a Kitchen Aid or comparable higher end countertop mixer to do the crushing? Easy clean up and i don't have a crusher. FWK seems to be including seeds now. I read the breaking or cutting the seeds produces a bitter taste. Too much tannin? But a dough hook and slow speed should release juice and produce a nice must slurry. Thoughts?

hard answer there if i had to say i would rate as follows:
calif
italian
chile
south african
Thanks! How about companies or websites? I’ve been searching CA and pricing varies quite a bit. Juice states from x vineyard and I can’t find anything online about x vineyard. I found one CA online source that looks great, sells must with frozen grapes. However, they are very expensive. I just want to make sure whoever I buy from is not a waste because it’s all money and time. Thanks!

Picking up 2 pails of Chilean juice at my local supplier tomorrow. Planning on adding a lug of CabSav between the buckets. Destemming by hand. Has anyone tried using a Kitchen Aid or comparable higher end countertop mixer to do the crushing? Easy clean up and i don't have a crusher. FWK seems to be including seeds now. I read the breaking or cutting the seeds produces a bitter taste. Too much tannin? But a dough hook and slow speed should release juice and produce a nice must slurry. Thoughts?
How many lbs in your lug? My supplier sells 18lb lugs from Chile in the Spring and 36 lb lugs from California in the fall. Either way, one lug won’t take any time to destem and crush. I think they may just roll around with the dough hook and you’ll need to be messing with it. You can crush them by hand as you pull them off the stem or put them in a bucket and crush with a potato masher or a length of 2x4. Just don’t do too many at one time. I use 36lbs for each pail which comes out to 8 gallons finished product.

Thanks! How about companies or websites? I’ve been searching CA and pricing varies quite a bit. Juice states from x vineyard and I can’t find anything online about x vineyard. I found one CA online source that looks great, sells must with frozen grapes. However, they are very expensive. I just want to make sure whoever I buy from is not a waste because it’s all money and time. Thanks!
what part of ca do you live in?

www.mercurioproduce.com

Back