Juice adjustments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pditt13

Reaction score
I purchased a 6 gallon Shiraz wine bucket from piwine about 7-8 months ago. I only wanted to make three gallons so I froze half. I would now like to make the other half which only wound up being a little over 2 gal. I tested Brix - 23, pH - 3.43, and TA - 4.8. I added 10g of tartaric acid and got the TA to 6.15, which in turn lowered my pH to 3.29. I think my TA needs to be a little higher but I don’t want to adjust my pH anymore. Any suggestions or are my numbers ok?

Thanks in advance
Patti

I purchased a 6 gallon Shiraz wine bucket from piwine about 7-8 months ago. I only wanted to make three gallons so I froze half. I would now like to make the other half which only wound up being a little over 2 gal. I tested Brix - 23, pH - 3.43, and TA - 4.8. I added 10g of tartaric acid and got the TA to 6.15, which in turn lowered my pH to 3.29. I think my TA needs to be a little higher but I don’t want to adjust my pH anymore. Any suggestions or are my numbers ok?

Thanks in advance
Patti
Personally, I'd have started the fermentation with your original numbers and adjusted based upon taste after some bulk aging. That said, I wouldn't make any more adjustments and would get the fermentation started. After the wine is done and it's had some time to develop, do some bench trials to see where it tastes best and go with that.

Latest posts

Back