John Glenn died today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
He is a true American hero who was born in a small town in Ohio. He was a fighter pilot who fought in two wars. He went on to be a test pilot before he became an astronaut.

He is the last of the original 7 mercury astronauts and was married over 73 years. When I heard of his death, I was cooking and almost dropped everything in my hands as tears ran down my face.

He always wanted to go to the moon and I can't help to think he got there.

SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE JOHN!

ed

I share your feelings.

If ever there was a living embodiment of all that is good and honorable, it would be John Glen.

- 149 combat missions in two wars,

- a one time record holder for fastest non-stop transcontinental flight,

- was once a contestant on "name that tune".

- was a test pilot for several years and flew the X15.

- made the cut for the final mercury 7 astronauts (first class). This was nothing too easy as there

- was almost bumped from the program. His wife (who had a rather bad stutter) refused to participate in a TV interview with LBJ (who at the time headed up the program). Rather than try to convince his wife to "play ball", John stood by his wife's decision.

- John's mercury flight was greatly accelerated once yuri Gagarin made his orbital flight. For John's flight, the redstone booster (which was used for both prior flights) was swapped out for the more powerful atlas booster. This booster was still in the experimental stages and had the habit of blowing up. The booster was so flimsy that if the tanks were not pressurized with fuel, it would collapse. Given the choice to pass on this flight, John still decided to go despite the dangers.

Through all of the above, and all of the dangers he faced, John lived to a healthy age of 95.

He was one of a kind. A true American hero at a time when we needed on the most. It will be a long time before we see the likes of him again.

God speed John Glen, we thank you!

He was one of a kind. A true American hero at a time when we needed on the most. It will be a long time before we see the likes of him again.

God speed John Glen, we thank you!

I agree wholeheartedly, John. We need a hero now, but there is none on the horizon.

Back