Joes ancient orange mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Julie!

I remember that Debbie posted that her fruit never dropped. I was wondering when I should just say "long enough" if that happens to my 3g batch. :)

Thanks, Julie!

I remember that Debbie posted that her fruit never dropped. I was wondering when I should just say "long enough" if that happens to my 3g batch. :)

Take a reading, if it is below 1.00, rack it into another carboy.

If you deviate from the recipe, then you "void the warranty". Most people who make JAO have brewed other stuff and because when they made X to produce Y they get a little concerned.

So they can't seem to get their head round this rather unusual concept of "mix it together and leave it alone". They're so used to having to complete other small steps or tweeks to whats going on.

I seem to recall my first JAO taking 3 to 3 and a half months for the fruit to drop. They just need to have a little faith, because if there was anything amiss with the recipe, I'm pretty sure it would have showed itself by now, discrediting this simple yet excellent recipe.....

The JOAM is stuck on the back of the workbench. Kinda forgot about it. Will have to give it a try shortly and let you know how it is. Probably should bottle it sometime, but it isn't hurting anything where it is. Trying to get all last years wines finished up and bottled so I can have the carboys back. The fruit trees have all flowered and looks like a bumper crop. Arne.

Roger that, Sir. Thank you.

Mine has been going just over a month... I'm good with leaving it alone, but it's nice to know approximately what to expect.

Just noticed that the JAOM that I started in June is only in a 1/2 gallon bottle not a 1 gallon. Should I add a 1/2 gallon water and let it sit or just let it go?

Mine has been going just over a month... I'm good with leaving it alone, but it's nice to know approximately what to expect.

I'm at 4 months... a few pieces of fruit have fallen. Most still at the top.

Last edited:
Bottling question....

I started my first batch of JAOM on July 4th and it's perfectly clear and a few of the raisins are starting to drop. Took a little sample this weekend and it tastes awesome. I used local honey that was very sweet and was probably mostly wildflower honey if I had to guess. I'm planning to bottle it sometime in the next week or two and am wondering if I should get it off the lees and fruit first into another jug first. Or just send it straight into the bottles and hope I don't get some sediment. Thoughts?

Well, as ever that's your choice as you're the maker.......

I've yet to find a dry mead that I've enjoyed, but also, I don't like the cloyingly sweet dessert meads - so I try and back sweeten with honey of the same type as originally used in the must to retain the flavouring character.....

Plus, I try to consistent in my process methods so the only variables are the honey and alcohol level

regards

fatbloke

When you back sweeten with raw honey, I assume you boil it to kill any organisms, but how do you get it clear? I don't usually back sweeten anything until just before bottling, so I don't want to introduce any haze, cloud, or bacteria into otherwise clear and sterile wine. Any suggestions?

When you back sweeten with raw honey, I assume you boil it to kill any organisms, but how do you get it clear? I don't usually back sweeten anything until just before bottling, so I don't want to introduce any haze, cloud, or bacteria into otherwise clear and sterile wine. Any suggestions?
No, absolutely not.

I don't boil or otherwise use heat on any honey, excepting when it's crystalised in the jars, then I just put the jars into hand hot water to gently bring it back to liquid (just replacing the water with more hand hot water, when it's gone cold - yes it does take 2 or 3 hours, but I prefer that, too ruining a good honey).

It's why I try quite hard to locate either raw honey, or honey that I know hasn't been over processed (like the cheapo supermarket type honey). Heating it seems to destroy too much of the more subtle flavours and aromatics.

In any case, honey is pretty much, the most naturally anti-septic substance nature has to offer. Hell you can even spread it on open wounds and all it does is to help the healing process.

Of course, if it's not been mega processed, there's more of a chance that it will cause a protein haze. But that's why I like to back sweeten to about the level I enjoy my meads at i.e. about the 1.010 mark (a.k.a. medium). That's done once it's been racked off the gross lees, and invariably the other sediment take any protein haze with it as it settles out.

If you clear a mead, then age it, before back sweetening, any haze either has to drop out again naturally, or you have to hit it with finings.

Yes, you'd normally make the back sweetening process just before bottling, but by doing it after the first racking, it just saves the effort and hassle of clearing it twice.

dunno if any of that helps or not......

regards

fatbloke

I never boil or heat my honey in any way before starting a batch, because it I know it will alter the flavor somewhat. I also use Lalvin KV-1116 yeast, which tends to dominate any fermentation it is involved in, plus a dose of campden tablets at the first racking, so I don't worry about any natural yeasts in the raw honey. Also, I don't usually have to backsweeten my meads because I use cold stabilization to stop fermentation at a predetermined point - I like 1.008 or 1.010 also. But I would love to use honey as a sweetener for strawberry and blackberry wines, so I'm starting to think I should A) make a super sweet mead and use it strictly for blending into these wines, or B) do the sweetening at first racking and add sulfites. Thank you for the suggestions and information!

The JOAM will be a year old on the 14th. Tried a little last night. It is very clear and very sweet. It has a taste that I do not think I really care for. I think it might be the orange pith, but it might be a combination between the pith and cloves. Anyway, it does not taste bad, but it is not going to be one of my favorites. Think I will pack it away in a couple of bottles and see what happens with it. It has not dropped any sediment in months. Will it probably start fermenting again or will I probably be ok bottling it without sorbating it? Arne.

That bitter taste fades after 2 yrs. Mine is now 2 yrs 9 mos old... 1 bottle left from the gallon I made. I got me started making melomels, which I looovvveee!

Debbie

The JOAM will be a year old on the 14th. Tried a little last night. It is very clear and very sweet. It has a taste that I do not think I really care for. I think it might be the orange pith, but it might be a combination between the pith and cloves. Anyway, it does not taste bad, but it is not going to be one of my favorites. Think I will pack it away in a couple of bottles and see what happens with it. It has not dropped any sediment in months. Will it probably start fermenting again or will I probably be ok bottling it without sorbating it? Arne.
If you stuck to the recipe, then the yeast should have "pooped out" (reached it's tolerance).

People always seem to complain about "pith bitterness", but I'd suggest that it's there to try and balance some of the high levels of residual sweetness, giving almost an "English Marmalade" type hint until it mellows out.

So you should be fine with bottling it.

Of course, if you're really worried about it, you can always find a type of orange that has only got a thin layer of pith below the skin.....

Yep, this was one of those experments. I suppose if I bottle it and stick it back i will not be happy with myself when it turns out great and I have to wait for a couple of years to get some more that is good. Kinda wonder what the abv is, but never used the hydrometer on this one, just followed the recipe like they said to do. Think that bread yeast made the abv a little higher than most of the wines I make. Least the burn test going down says so. lol. Anyway this has been fun and I still have enough honey to make another three gallons but think I'm gonna use it for something else. Havn't decided what yet, but will get it goin one of these days. Arne.

Do you feel the flavor has a hint of medicine? It's not hot like too much alcohol... more like what orange cough syrup might taste like.

That's how my 5 month old JOAM tasted. I'm hoping that it mellows.

Do you feel the flavor has a hint of medicine? It's not hot like too much alcohol... more like what orange cough syrup might taste like.

That's how my 5 month old JOAM tasted. I'm hoping that it mellows.

Think you might have hit the nail on the head, Ken. Does kinda taste like medicine.But, I'm gonna bottle it and leave it alone for a while. We will see what happens with it. No matter what, will most likely drink it anyway. Arne.

You will be amazed at the changes over the next 6-10 months. I only made a gallon, so we opened 1 every 6 months or so... 1 bottle left.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back