Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the LD Carlson Yeast Starter 2oz package. I've used it before and it seems to do a good job. I boil 2 cups of water and transfer it to a 1000ml beaker. When it cools to 105 I add my yeast. Then I wait 15 minutes and add the yiest starter to the yeast. It looks like malt, not sure what's in it. But I wait another 30 minutes and dump it in.

It is a mixture of both nutrient an energizer and you are spending abot twice as much for that package versus just buying the 2 chemicals by themselves.

What is the alcohol content of this using bread yeast? I just made two batches and waiting for it to cool to room temp. I'm thinking of using a champagne yeast for one and the bread yeast for the other.

Thoughts?

Oh, and I used raisins in one and craisins in the other.

Last edited:
my !st mead

well i just made a 4 gal batch used some local east tn honey a rich deep brown color it smells gr8 and i just know its gonna turn out gr8.i hope to be ready for xmas gifts

My batch that I made with the bread yeast has cleared and appears to be ready for bottling. The batch with the chamapgne yeast is still working.

Does anyone know the alcohol content of this when finished after using the bread yeast?

I'm looking to try this, as soon as can get my hands on a smaller jug to make it in. I don't see any mention of sulfite's after it's done. Most things I've read say to sulfite and sorbate.

Is there no real need with this mead? Or should one consider doing it anyway?

This would be my 1st mead and only my 3rd attempt at any wine.

The raisins are really there to add body to the wine so I would say not really.

My nephew will be harvesting honey soon and has suggested we make some mead. I have no experience with this and this recipe seems to be the best way to start.
Two questions:
1. If I were to make a 3 gal batch would I simply triple the recipe? Or would 3 one gal batches be better? I could see the 3 smaller jugs easier to find places to store. Also one could also substitute different fruits in each of the smaller jugs for a variety.
2. I note the comment about a pithy taste - would cutting the orange flesh from the rind and using that eliminate any pithy taste?
Any suggestions are welcomed.
.. Doug

I started with a 1 gallon batch per the recipe, and it disappeared immediately. So I did a 3 gallon batch, with less than 3x oranges, and it disappeared immediately.

I bottled my first 6 gallon batch a couple of months ago, and I have most of a case left from the 2.5 cases it made. Finally, I get to age some! It is really popular as a hostess gift or thank-you to friends.

The scaling back on the oranges and spices came from another forum, and works well. I have always used Red Star baking yeast instead of Fleischmanns, because that is what I bake with. Seems to go quite a bit farther on the alcohol level, though.

Wade E said:
The raisins are really there to add body to the wine so I would say not really.

The raisins in JAOM are for nutrients. Not for body..otherwise one would use more than just 25 raisins per gallon

Latest posts

Back