JMAO Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugger

Reaction score
Does this mead typically finish dry? Mine is going on 4 months and is at 1.020 and I don't know if it is supposed to keep going since this is my first effort at mead. I followed the recipe, didn't take a starting SG for some reason, and it fermented well and has been still for a while now and clear for a month. It has been a bit cool lately - thus the reason for the question - I'm not sure if it's finished yet or just sleeping.

No, it os designed top finish sweet hence the use of bread yeast and somewhat hign sg for a bread yeast. I used wine yeast and it came out nasty and to top it off the cloves really really dominated the flavor which made it even nastier!

The stuff ferments out sweet. I am not a great fan of it, but my soninlaw thinks it is about the best stuff I have made. It is alright in my opinion, but not great. I made it and forgot about it for a year or so and it came out ok. Arne.

Thanks - in that case I will sulphite/sorbate and bottle. My initial tastes were underwhelming also - perhaps after ageing it will change, or it will be another batch to serve others and for gifts. It does have nice colour!

You're right - I didn't even dare to move it for 3 months.:D

You're right - I didn't even dare to move it for 3 months.:D
Well if you're not doing anything else with it, then you don't even need to stabilise it. Just rack it to clear and bottle.

I also know that despite what the recipe says, I've never found it good when it's just finished. I've always had to age it for 6 months plus, and then it comes out good.

Latest posts

Back