jeff

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good day everyone, I racked my wine today out of the 7 gallon large mouth carboy and out of the 3 gallon small mouth carboy I was using for the excess. I racked into the 6.5 gallon small mouth glass carboy and I have 2 gallons in mason jars. My plan is to leave in the 6.5 gallon carboy for several months. I plan on ordering a 2 gallon or 2 1 gallon carboys next week for the excess, should I leave the 2 gallons in the mason jars or put back in the 3 gallon carboy? It will be at least 8 or 10 days before I can get the 2 gallon carboy.
From what I read I need to have a solid plug on the 6.5 carboy and not the airlock I have now for long term aging?
I plan on aging for a month then racking again, as many as a total of 4 racks in a time period between now and this time next year when I will need the carboy again?
I’ve tasted the wine and it tastes like my grapes do... bitter. Can I add sugar now?
Thanks again everyone

Attachments

• 10C8B045-C993-40BD-A7D7-2EE18C140608.jpeg
    10C8B045-C993-40BD-A7D7-2EE18C140608.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Good day everyone, I racked my wine today out of the 7 gallon large mouth carboy and out of the 3 gallon small mouth carboy I was using for the excess. I racked into the 6.5 gallon small mouth glass carboy and I have 2 gallons in mason jars. My plan is to leave in the 6.5 gallon carboy for several months. I plan on ordering a 2 gallon or 2 1 gallon carboys next week for the excess, should I leave the 2 gallons in the mason jars or put back in the 3 gallon carboy? It will be at least 8 or 10 days before I can get the 2 gallon carboy.
From what I read I need to have a solid plug on the 6.5 carboy and not the airlock I have now for long term aging?
I plan on aging for a month then racking again, as many as a total of 4 racks in a time period between now and this time next year when I will need the carboy again?
I’ve tasted the wine and it tastes like my grapes do... bitter. Can I add sugar now?
Thanks again everyone
I would buy a couple of 1 gallon bottles of drinking water, dump the water and fill with the 2 gallons you have in mason jars. You need to limit exposure to air. Try to get the clear plastic kind of water bottle but the translucent are ok for the short time you will need them. Bitter or sour? I suspect you mean sour. You can add sugar but you will also need to add sorbate to prevent fermentation

@cosmyccowboy, I agree with @Sailor323, air is your enemy after fermentation is over.

Carlo Rossi sells its version of Burgundy and Chablis (NOTHING like the real stuff!) in 4 liter jugs. I buy them, decant into five 750 ml and one 375 ml screwcap bottles for cooking, and move the empty jugs to the winery. The wine is totally mediocre (no significant flaws, nothing above average), but very drinkable you do not expect to be wowed. Besides, a full jug costs just a bit more than a new empty one, and it's full of cooking wine. ;)

I disagree on the plastic jugs, unless the plastic is designed for wine. Acidic liquids can leech from the plastic. IMO better to leave in the mason jar with as little air space as possible. One problem with mason jars is the wide surface area, it's a lot of space that can introduce oxidation. The second problem is the lid may be gas permeable, e.g., it's let's O2 in. Problem #3:

I don't use solid bungs for anything except barrels. I use airlocks if fermentation is active and for a while afterward. In the last couple of years I've phased in vented bungs for after the wine is degassed, which let excess gas out but nothing in. While excess gas is most likely to blow a solid bung, I avoid sealing containers unless I'm 101% positive it's not degassing in any way. It is possible to explode a glass bottle.

Since the wine is very new, don't screw the mason jar lids down tight, to avoid a pressure buildup.

Patience, Grasshopper! DO NOT worry about the taste right now. The wine is brand new, full of CO2, and it will NOT taste like it will a month from now, nor like it will 6 months from now.

Rack as few times as possible. Unless sediment builds up, don't touch it -- other than to move into better secondary containers -- for 3 months.

Backsweeten before bottling -- you're a ways out from that.

Patience is THE hardest thing for new winemakers to learn. That, and start collecting bottles NOW! Trust me on this point!

😄

@cosmyccowboy, I agree with @Sailor323, air is your enemy after fermentation is over.

Carlo Rossi sells its version of Burgundy and Chablis (NOTHING like the real stuff!) in 4 liter jugs. I buy them, decant into five 750 ml and one 375 ml screwcap bottles for cooking, and move the empty jugs to the winery. The wine is totally mediocre (no significant flaws, nothing above average), but very drinkable you do not expect to be wowed. Besides, a full jug costs just a bit more than a new empty one, and it's full of cooking wine. ;)

I disagree on the plastic jugs, unless the plastic is designed for wine. Acidic liquids can leech from the plastic. IMO better to leave in the mason jar with as little air space as possible. One problem with mason jars is the wide surface area, it's a lot of space that can introduce oxidation. The second problem is the lid may be gas permeable, e.g., it's let's O2 in. Problem #3:

I don't use solid bungs for anything except barrels. I use airlocks if fermentation is active and for a while afterward. In the last couple of years I've phased in vented bungs for after the wine is degassed, which let excess gas out but nothing in. While excess gas is most likely to blow a solid bung, I avoid sealing containers unless I'm 101% positive it's not degassing in any way. It is possible to explode a glass bottle.

Since the wine is very new, don't screw the mason jar lids down tight, to avoid a pressure buildup.

Patience, Grasshopper! DO NOT worry about the taste right now. The wine is brand new, full of CO2, and it will NOT taste like it will a month from now, nor like it will 6 months from now.

Rack as few times as possible. Unless sediment builds up, don't touch it -- other than to move into better secondary containers -- for 3 months.

Backsweeten before bottling -- you're a ways out from that.

Patience is THE hardest thing for new winemakers to learn. That, and start collecting bottles NOW! Trust me on this point!

😄
Thanks! That is a awesome post!

First of all I would like to know where you are getting 2 gallon carboys, I've never seen them but always wanted some. The mason jars are not the best option but it appears they are all you have to use so it's a tough situation. I've not gone back through the entire thread and don't know where you are located but there might be a beer or wine making store near you where you could get 1 gallon jugs more readily. As far as the solid bungs you may have trouble keeping them on at this young of an age. I also agree with the air lock.

Good news everyone, I finally got a reliable taste tester today! I racked the gallon I had in a plastic jug into a glass one gallon jug. I used the mason jar to top it off with which didn’t take much so I asked my mother would she like to try my wine. She said she would so I gave her a 1/2 a wine glass full, she said it tasted good, as good as what you would buy in the store! I asked her would she like another glass and at first she said no then about 5 minutes later she changed her mind so I gave her a glass full this time! She was very complimentary about the taste and upon finishing the 2nd glass she got up and went to bed! I forgot to warn her it might be a little higher in alcohol content than what she’s used to! Thanks

First of all I would like to know where you are getting 2 gallon carboys, I've never seen them but always wanted some. The mason jars are not the best option but it appears they are all you have to use so it's a tough situation. I've not gone back through the entire thread and don't know where you are located but there might be a beer or wine making store near you where you could get 1 gallon jugs more readily. As far as the solid bungs you may have trouble keeping them on at this young of an age. I also agree with the air lock.
I have a 3 gallon carboy, my wife works at a restaurant and brought me home 3 one gallon jugs the other day. I am liking the one gallon jugs and looking forward to getting more if possible!

I have a 3 gallon carboy, my wife works at a restaurant and brought me home 3 one gallon jugs the other day. I am liking the one gallon jugs and looking forward to getting more if possible!
For years I used the 1 gallon jugs and was quite content. Even my barber suggested I move up to 5 gallon carboys. I settled on the 3 gallon size for my "production runs." Still use the 1 gallon size for trials and tests. Yes, this is a great hobby!

I use 3 gallon size because a I can carry a full one myself. I have a couple of 5 gallon carboys but if I have to move them, my husband has to do it for me. I don't have room to put them on carts, so if I didn't have my AIO wine pump so I can rack them in place, I would have stuck with 3 gallons only. Plus a bunch of 1 gallon carboys and some 1.5 liter bottles and and and ...

I use 3 gallon size because a I can carry a full one myself. I have a couple of 5 gallon carboys but if I have to move them, my husband has to do it for me. I don't have room to put them on carts, so if I didn't have my AIO wine pump so I can rack them in place, I would have stuck with 3 gallons only. Plus a bunch of 1 gallon carboys and some 1.5 liter bottles and and and ...
I LIKE 1 GALLON JUGS CUS I CUN DRINK UM RIGHT OFF MY SHOULDER

Latest posts

Back