Jeep Poll. Opinions please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
Sure I know this is a wine forum, but I also know there are a lot of great people here who have their own take on things. Normally with an educated reason.
So here we go. There is a little discussion in our house about 'restoring' this Jeep. I might add there is a difference of opinions as to what should be done, if anything. So I'd like to see what others have to say.

What we have here is a 1980, 4-cylinder CJ5. We bought this last year pretty much as you see it. It had new seats, tires and runs pretty good. The paint and body has a few rust spots on it but no major holes. It is kind of bare bones on the interior with no center console. We did put some rubber mats in it. It is not fast and that's not important. About the only real job this Jeep has is transporting people/kids to the beach, carrying kayaks and fishing rods. It does not need to go on the freeway or anything strenuous.

If you owned this Jeep, what would you do, and why.

#1, Restore it Foose style (Overhaulin), with all new everything, paint, windshield, chrome, soft roof and lifted.

or...

#2, go the American Pickers style and leave it much as it is without overdoing it. Keeping original paint, using a buffer and sealer to get out any rust and bring out the shine. Replace any missing "necessary parts" like knobs, pedals and minor things using originals when possible.

What do y'all think?

jeep2.jpg

Well Lori, I'm always happy to spend other peoples money so I say Foose it up. Truth be told I'm an "All Original" guy and think restoring to stock can be done over time in a step wise fashion. The sun faded pale yellow is pretty cool. Any way you handle the restoration, you can't go wrong. Enjoy and don't let the resto interfere with carboy aquisition.

BC

Think I would leave it pretty much the wayit is. Fix anything that needs fixing, Give it a coat of paint if you like and play with it. If you fix it up too much, you won't want it on the beach anymore. (wouldn't want to mess it up or get sand in it.) Nice toy, tho. Arne.

Latest posts

Back