Japanese Prunes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdcl1977

Reaction score
Has anyone made Japanese prune wine? I have 1 tree and there is about 10 to 15 pounds of prunes just coming in. I have only made 4 wine kits and was thinking I would try my first fruit wine with these prunes. I have 2 carboys empty and wonder how much this would make. I am so new at this I'm not sure I want to tackle a fruit wine at this stage but I have the fruit and they are FREE.

Jim

Don't prunes come from plums??? Don't you have to harvest a plum to then turn it into a prune???

I have no idea what a japanese prune is.. can you post a photo?

Allie

oops

Yes they are plums, my mistake not prunes but plums. Spell check doesn't catch blunders. As you can see they are not very large. They are sweet and have 2 large seeds inside.

Jim

IMG_1133.jpg

Your plums look a lot better than the canned Aldi's plums I just made a batch from. I'll bet they will make a tasty wine for you.

Larry

It's looking ok so far. I put a couple large glasses of the lees in the fridge and have let it clear. I added a little sugar to a small glass of it and it really is similar to plum wines I have purchased. (Or even Akadama plum wine from my days in Japan in the 60's.) It is very delicate as you mentioned but drinkable.

Loquats

I have done some research and they are Loquats, aka Japanese Plums. I found 3 different wine recipes for up to 2.5 gallons. Low acid and high sugar. I will need at least 2 pounds after pitting. I'll let y"all (southern slang) know if I can come up with that amount.
Jim

If you can get a hold of a steam juicer that would eliminent much of the work like pitting and smashing. J. plums (loquats) give a unique earthy flavor.

Thanks, pitting will take some time. I am harvesting tomorrow and will weigh out the amount to see if there are enough fruit to work with.

Latest posts

Back