Japanese beetles help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Japanese beetles, I have had good luck daily shooting them directly with Sevin. I think maybe some of us are overlooking an organic solution that is inexpensive and perhaps no more time consuming. I'm thinking that Diatomaceous earth may very well be equally efficacious. It seems very little experimentation has been done with it on agricultural crops and Japanese beetles. I'm thinking of experimenting with it next year. That would allow me to go organic from July 1st until harvest. It would be very effective on aphids as well.

I would like to know how this proceeds. Currently I have a 3 pronged attack, mechanical (traps), chemical (Sevin), and biological (milky spore). I had very little problem this year, but I think it may have had something to do with the constant rain we had at the start of the season. It appears that the grubs can't breathe under water for long.

Dennis I couldn't find failed or successful experiments testing the diatomaceous earth, either at the homeowner level, or university type studies. Now I wish they would show up again...

Beetle season must be almost over here in the Colorado foothills. Seeing way fewer the last week and smaller body counts in the bag. Going to try nematodes this month for future reductions. Hate to think of poisons. Besides, the squirrels and coons are as bad.

I got lucky and the influx of beetles attracted some local bats and then the beetles were gone.

Look into attracting bats for a natural solution. Sevin is the go to for beetles tho.

Another tactic would be to put up some bait plants and hose the beetles down that flock to it.

One was a type of tree and the other was a weed that grows wild. I lost track of the tree but I will get you a pic of the weed.

The beetles seemed to like the weed more than the grapes!

Here is the weed. No idea what it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Beetles are almost gone here in Denver; one or two per day. What tells them the season is over; just last years hatch complete?

I suggest treating as much of your sod space, and the adjoining neighbors place too if you can, use something approved for sod treatment. First treatment when you have your first 3 day span over 60°, last of March first of April, then every 2 weeks through June.
Diazonon, Loriisban, ect

This takes care of the grubs as they move up the soil column into warmer soils to pupate.

Then I like Mustang max for emerged beetles....

But doing this yearly seems to significantly reduce the 'local' breeding population..

Diazinon is no longer available as it was banned during the Clinton years. JBs usually have a hatch window of about a month triggered by weather conditions. They are short lived with a focus on eating and breeding. Read my three pronged approach above. But they are best attacked in the ground as that is where they spend the longest time. Don't depend on just the ground attack though as they travel on the wind, so you'll need to think about your above ground strategy. I had them show up one year and by noon had stripped about half the leaves off the grapes and plums (2 of their most fav foods).

I can't speak for all states, but Diazinon is certainly still available. Its restricted use of course. But absolutely available and fairly cost effective. 75$-80 for 21/2 gallon jug.
I buy 21/2 gallons of Diazinon AG500, every other year or so....and it has an AG use label for several different crops.
I use it for turf control of any and all grubs, in the time frame in apply it in. Which usually is 2-4 applications 2 weeks apart to maximize coverage.
We still get fly in JBs but they are fairly manageable through co-treatments applied on a schedule designed around other pests such as SWD.....

I've often wondered that if you could control a flock of guineas in daily hunts through your vineyard during June/July....pre harvest of course. I figured this could be highly effective if combined with other Treatments.

An option I'm considering this year is a broad spectrum systemic and lure.

I will certainly get the grapes too but the info gained last year will be most helpful as in I will have some knotweed close by also given a systemic.

I see there are quite a few organically approved systemics now. I want to try venom but man is it pricey!

Additionally I will hang a few bat boxes at whatever the recommended distance is from my house!

Speaking of bats, I have a rather funny story to tell on myself. Was walking through a part of my vineyard with verona vines that had ripening clusters on them last summer. One bunch looked kinda funny, as I was getting my bifocals right as I reached for it, to look closer. The bunch came alive and tried to bite me and flew away. I felt the fang against my thumb nail, and was glad it wasn't anywhere else! From now on I will look closer before I touch!

Latest posts

Back