Japanese beetle control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - that's some damage. I typically don't get Japanese beetles up here - but flea beetles have skeleton-ized the leaves some years. Nothing to the extent you have and they are pretty easy to control.

Following and wishing you the best.

I think milky spore is a good option for several reasons

It lasts 15-20 yrs before you have to reapply

Cost is about $200 per acre ($13.50 per year for 15 yrs)

Japanese beetles lay their eggs below what they are feeding on so having something killing the larva and keeping a spray program going is my current plan.

It also is suppose to work best on heavily populated areas as there are probably lots of larvae for the bacteria to feed on

The younger the vine, the worse the damage. That's my experience. JBs like tender leaves. When your vine gets older, it will get better. There is just too much leaves for them to eat. Sometimes it helps out as a way to thin leaves towards veraison.

My research indicates milky spore really doesn't work. Can't cite references at the moment but can look them up tomorrow.

In my opinion a proactive approach is best.
Milky spore doesn't really work. Traps are a great idea....if you hang them near your ex wife's garden....I won't ever be try them on my place again....

Kaolin clay works well, but is hard to get off the fruit.

On our berry farm I start my progam in March when soil temperatures hit 60°.
I mix up diazanon or lorisban, for sod application.
I spray the sod over most of my farm every two weeks till a couple of weeks before we start to see fruit ripening.

This won't stop em all....As they're going to fly in from your neighbors but it has kept my JB numbers to a minimum.
Now if I could only afford to spray my neighbors hay feilds!!!

Latest posts

Back