RJ Spagnols Jalapeno Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone

I recently attended a Grand Opening of my daughters and her husband's new Micro Brewery which was a huge success. They will do an amazing job with their new venture. While there and trying their menu of craft beer I tried a Jalapeno Blonde that was totally amazing (YES it was amazing) and I am not a big craft beer guy.

MY question to fellow wine makers is has anyone tried Jalapeno in any Chardonnay we are thinking about doing a 6 Gallon run as a "cooking wine" have any of you attempted this and if so any information regarding the amount of peppers and time in the primary would be deeply appreciated. It sounds like a good mix for cooking and what the heck it may be a nice surprise to drink. As always thank you in advance for any info

Michael and Sherry
MSF Group

MY question to fellow wine makers is has anyone tried Jalapeno in any Chardonnay we are thinking about doing a 6 Gallon run as a "cooking wine" have any of you attempted this and if so any information regarding the amount of peppers and time in the primary would be deeply appreciated. It sounds like a good mix for cooking and what the heck it may be a nice surprise to drink. As always thank you in advance for any info

Michael and Sherry
MSF Group

Never in a Chardonnay but have made quite a bit with jalapenos and apple juice. Usually in one gallon batches.
I use 8 jalapenos in one gallon. 3 with seeds and 5 without seeds. That part really depends on how hot you want it.
I also backsweeten it as the sugar helps bring everything together and cut down on the "bite" from the peppers.
Tastes really good with some chips and salsa.

wineforfun,

Can you give more details?

What type of juice/concentrate do you use?
Target SG and FG?
More seeds = more heat?
Are the peppers mostly whole or chopped up - free floating or in a bag?

I think a gallon would be worth a try. This would probably be excellent in a pork and apples dish we make occasionally.

Thanks,
Tim

I have used 100% reconstituted apple juice as the base and other times I have used 100% concentrate and reconstituted it myself. I prefer the 100% reconstituted apple juice from the store. It is a lighter body wine whereas the concentrate is a heavier body. Just my preference.

My SG is usually around 1.085 - 1.090
FG is around .994 - .998
I shoot for 11.5 - 12% ABV
Yes, more seeds=more heat. If you get it too hot, you will end up using it as a marinade, unless your taste buds like all that heat.

I chop the pepper up, rough cut, not real small, and put into a mesh bag along with whatever seeds I use. I use a mesh bag anytime I use fruit, vegetable, etc. parts as it makes cleanup and racking much easier.

I've done a Habanero Apple - I think it's in one of the WOTM threads. Great for cooking, and not bad for shots or sipping on a cold Winnipeg winter night.

Thanks! Great answers. I will give it a try as soon as my batch of Christmas Dragons Blood comes out of the little big mouth bubbler.

Appreciate your response.

Latest posts

Back