Jack Keller Home winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
I loved Jack Keller's site. I often use his recipe's.
That said is the book worth buying and why would you buy it?

I have Jack's book and have found it a worthwhile addition to my wine making library. He is a little light on the base ingredients in most cases but the recipes and techniques are solid. I recommend it especially for beginners.

I actually contacted Jack a number of years ago concerning Bradford pears. If you're not familiar with them, they are an imported, extremely invasive, short lived species with "marble" sized fruit so tart and acidic, they will turn your head inside out!!!

I have no idea what happened in this particular season, maybe the tree cross pollinated with some of our other pears, but the fruit was the size of golf balls but just as unpalatable. Jack said he had made Bradford wine only once and gave me several pointers but told me not to bet the house and camper on the outcome.

Fast forward 18 months and I had one of the best "Country Wines" I've ever made resembling a very smooth, buttery Chard.

My trees (remember invasive!!) have never produced pears that size again and I haven't tried the recipe since but I'm indebted to Jack for his guidance. He was a great wine maker and is sorely missed.

BTW, if you're a woodturner and have never worked with Bradford pear, the wood turns great - green or dry and finishes beautifully.

I have Jack's book and have found it a worthwhile addition to my wine making library. He is a little light on the base ingredients in most cases but the recipes and techniques are solid. I recommend it especially for beginners.

I actually contacted Jack a number of years ago concerning Bradford pears. If you're not familiar with them, they are an imported, extremely invasive, short lived species with "marble" sized fruit so tart and acidic, they will turn your head inside out!!!

I have no idea what happened in this particular season, maybe the tree cross pollinated with some of our other pears, but the fruit was the size of golf balls but just as unpalatable. Jack said he had made Bradford wine only once and gave me several pointers but told me not to bet the house and camper on the outcome.

Fast forward 18 months and I had one of the best "Country Wines" I've ever made resembling a very smooth, buttery Chard.

My trees (remember invasive!!) have never produced pears that size again and I haven't tried the recipe since but I'm indebted to Jack for his guidance. He was a great wine maker and is sorely missed.

BTW, if you're a woodturner and have never worked with Bradford pear, the wood turns great - green or dry and finishes beautifully.
a non-vino, Pear question for ya! What do you use/do to prevent/treat Pear Scab? I have one tree here in Michigan that is bountiful but annually it's affected by scab and ALL the fruit goes bad.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Cheers!

Other than spraying and keeping fallen leaves raked up, not much else you can do from what I've read. I don't do either and still have more than enough fruit to make preserves and pies. My tree is bumping 50 yrs of age so may have some degree of immunity.

Back