I've come up with a new plan for buying kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSwiner

Reaction score
i was just thinking that if we had a dish and everytime we drink a bottle of wine we put $5.00 for cheaper wines and $10.00 for the better wines in the dish . It wouldn't take long to have enough money aside to buy another kit .Since any bottle of wine we buy is atleast $10.00 thats a deal . Could even put less money in and still it would add up quickly .

Darlene, have you ever made wine from juice and not a kit. It's alot cheaper and with experience you can create your own blends.

I have never made a kit except for two Vinteer's fruit base cans. I've used Regina juice from Calif. or made wine from fruit, apples, mangos, berries etc.

This way you would only add 1 to 2 dollars per bottle.

I have Peach, Pear, Blueberry wine that I paid NOTHING for the fruit. The $ in it is for what I spent on chemicals.
SO. YES I can confirm making fruit wines can be much cheaper.

Good idea but dont have that kind of money to do that and thats why I make my own wine! :h

Darlene, have you ever made wine from juice and not a kit. It's alot cheaper and with experience you can create your own blends.

I have never made a kit except for two Vinteer's fruit base cans. I've used Regina juice from Calif. or made wine from fruit, apples, mangos, berries etc.

This way you would only add 1 to 2 dollars per bottle.

Yes I have made a few batches of wine from juice but they are not the same as kit wines . I'm not talking about fruit wines ,I'm talking about wines like liebfraumilch and gewurztraminer that you can't just whip up from scratch .

As bad as times are down here in the Florida housing industry, anytime I try to save money for anything, it only takes a week of nothing coming in for my "special money" to become the light bill or phone bill! :dg
It's a pain to work for yourself and end up making what you would at a Walmart for minumun wage, but that is my lot in life right now.
It's not a lot, but it is a life.

Sorry Steve, but I have made a Regina juice wine...it was poor...I would not make again. And I hear conflicting reports on Vintner's fruit bases..some say good others not. Plus not available in Canada.

I have Peach, Pear, Blueberry wine that I paid NOTHING for the fruit. The $ in it is for what I spent on chemicals.
SO. YES I can confirm making fruit wines can be much cheaper.
Unfortunately not everyone has access to free fruit.

Steve

Wish you were here Steve. I could turn you loose on pie cherries, currants, probably mulberries but havn't checked lately, will have crab apples a little later this summer and maybe chokecherries and elderberries. free for the taking if you don't mind standing in the sun in 90 degree plus heat. Arne.

Used many of the Harvest fruit wine bases and they are all good IMo as long as you make the 3 gallon recipe, I find the 5 gallon recipe a little weak and use 2 per 6 gallon batch. I have not made the Regina but have tried one wine that friend near me made and I didnt like it, could have just been the person that made it though.

Wish you were here Steve. I could turn you loose on pie cherries, currants, probably mulberries but havn't checked lately, will have crab apples a little later this summer and maybe chokecherries and elderberries. free for the taking if you don't mind standing in the sun in 90 degree plus heat. Arne.
Thanks Arne. A friend and I made crab apple wine when I lived in Regina Saskatchewan. The buddy had three trees that finally produced a big crop. I don't currently know anybody with trees/bushes. Won't mind trying a batch of cherry wine.

Steve

Steve, if you're coming down this way to see a game soon now is the time they're picking cherries in Northeast. I imagine taking them back across the boarder could be an issue though.

Steve, if you're coming down this way to see a game soon now is the time they're picking cherries in Northeast. I imagine taking them back across the boarder could be an issue though.
I'm pretty sure that bringing tree fruit into Ontario is a no-no. It certainly used to be. I haven't been asked about fruit in the last year or more though.

There's lots of cherry trees in this area, but I would have to pay (and I'm cheap and have lots of wine already) cause I don't know anybody with trees.

STeve

Used many of the Harvest fruit wine bases and they are all good IMo as long as you make the 3 gallon recipe, I find the 5 gallon recipe a little weak and use 2 per 6 gallon batch. I have not made the Regina but have tried one wine that friend near me made and I didnt like it, could have just been the person that made it though.

Im interested in trying to use these harvest fruit wine bases and was worried about it being a little weak for making a 6 gallon batch. I was actually thinking of adding two different types of wine bases to make a 6 gallon batch... I was thinking of picking up the vintners harvest fruit bases of strawberry and kiwi and combining the two to make a 6 gallon batch. Any ideas if this will turn out ok since a 5 gallon only calls for one can of bases. I see that you said it was a little weak so thats why I was considering adding two different types.

Latest posts

Back