It's getting pretty deep

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
Roll your britches up before you read this one.</font>
smiley22.gif

</span>
Winemakers mull climate change at Barcelona conference
</span>Yahoo news, Sat Feb 16, 3:54 PM ET</span> </span>

<st1:City w:st="on">BARCELONA</span></st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Spain</st1:country-region> (AFP) - Carbon dixoide storage -- rather
than grapes and vintages -- was on the agenda at a wine-makers conference in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Barcelona</span></span></st1:place></st1:City> Saturday,
as vintners mulled ways to reduce the industry's greenhouse gas emissions</span></span>. </span>

Not everyone is aware that wine production
emits large quantities of CO2, the main gas responsible for climate change</span></span>.</span>

But that problem, along the potential
impact of global warming</span></span> on the wine industry, faced
the more than 350 producers, scientists, winemakers from 36 countries who
participated in the two-day conference that ended Saturday.</span>

The experts included representatives from
some of the world's leading wine-making countries -- notably <st1:country-region w:st="on">Spain</span></span></st1:country-region>,
<st1:country-region w:st="on">France</span></span></st1:country-region>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</span></span></st1:country-region>,
the <st1:country-region w:st="on">United States</st1:country-region>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">New
Zealand</span></span></st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>.</span>

The meeting was clouded by a series of
alarming warnings Friday, with experts saying global warming would lead to
"harder" and less aromatic wines.</span>

"The consequences of global warming
are already being felt. Harvest season already comes ten days earlier than
before in almost all wine regions," warned French expert Bernard Seguin.</span>

The congress was due to wrap up Saturday
evening with a video conference by former US vice-president Al Gore</span></span>,
who won the 2007 Nobel peace prize</span></span> for his work on climate change.</span>

Spanish producer Miguel Torres told
delegates he was pioneering "carbon capture and storage," whereby
harmful CO2
emissions</span></span> are trapped and stored underground.</span>

At the foot of the Cordilleras of the Andes
in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chile</span></span></st1:place></st1:country-region>,
Torres has already set up the first recovery process for the CO2 produced by
fermenting grapes, he said.</span>

"We are trying to convert CO2 into
something solid, which will remain in the ground, instead of being emitted into
the air," he said.</span>

If the <st1:country-region w:st="on">Chile</st1:country-region>
project -- which Torres admits is still a small pilot experiment -- is
successful, he intends to implement a much bigger programme in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Spain</st1:country-region>, with co-financing from the regional
government of <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Catalonia</st1:place></st1:State>.</span>

Deep underground storage of CO2 is
currently being tested in a variety of locations worldwide, from under the
seabed off the coasts of <st1:country-region w:st="on">Norway</span></span></st1:country-region>
and <st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region>, to an
oilfield in <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</span></span></st1:State> and a coal seam in
<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Poland</span></span></st1:place></st1:country-region>.</span>

Carbon storage was widely discussed at the
UN climate
change conference</span></span> in <st1:place w:st="on">Bali</span></span></st1:place> last
December and is one of the recommendations of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change</span></span> (IPCC) which won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize along with
Gore.</span>

Banrock Station Wines in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> is
another producer aiming to be a model of sustainable development.</span>

"These are the first steps, but they
are very important" said Tony Sharley, the company's scientist. "The
reforestation of areas close to the vineyards" may also help reduce the
carbon footprint, he said.</span>

But the wine companies are also having to
search out new areas for their vines in order to protect quality, as the earth</span></span>
heats up.</span>

"We move the vines to areas higher and
cooler. Vines that are planted before on the coast have moved further inland
and land toward the mountain," said Torres, pointing to a new vineyard at
the foot of the Pyrenees, near <st1:City w:st="on">Lerida</st1:City> in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Catalonia</st1:place></st1:State>.</span>

Other vintners were less worried. </span>

Wine-maker Jacques Lurton told the
conference that the problems from climate change</span></span> were all
relative. </span>

In the northern hemisphere, climate change
is "not yet a problem for wine," whilst in the southern hemisphere, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Argentina</span></span></st1:country-region>
and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chile</span></span></st1:place></st1:country-region>,
for example, still have enormous potential, and "no water problems,"
he said. </span>

While admitting that some French regions,
such as <st1:City w:st="on">Bordeaux</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Alsace</st1:State>
and <st1:place w:st="on">Moselle</st1:place>, were "were making wines near
their climactic limit," Lurton added there was "still room for
manoeuvre." </span>

Indeed, he predicted a change in style of
wine over the next 20 years, with perhaps a Bordeaux Cabernet Sauvignon
becoming closer to those wines currently being made in the Napa Valley,
California. </span>

According to another leading winemaker
Michel Rolland, "climate change has not changed the production techniques,
but it might be necessary for mental attitudes to change." </span>

"It is important that the producer
uses less water, less energy, and practice a more holistic agriculture. If we
do not meet these codes, wine quality will not improve," he said.</span>

Hi Stormbringer,,,,,,Haven't seen you around in a while.

Good to see you.......Ramona

I read that article and have to speak my mind since you brought it to the forum
smiley2.gif

But, now that I think about it :

Nevermind......

I see the pros, I see the cons, I see the money lined pockets, I see the greed, the corporate distruction, take overs,,, yadda yadda yadda.

but at the end of the day, those in control are going to to what ever it is they are gonna do without anyones input.

Hey Storm,

My two cents: Lies about man causing global warming to steer us away from the real issues than plague society.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: masta

Zember and Mud ......I can tell you that Franks x-71 does put off C02.Especially, when it is processed through a human lung atabout 3 am.

Frank came to Houston to visit and brougth the x-71......did me in....lights out....wake me up in the morning....or at least noon. Don't expect someone who will be pulledtogether...after the night before.

But I had the pleasure of meeting Frank and enjoying a suitcase full of wine he brought form Maine......

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

This global warming is nothing more than power, controll, and money. In the near future vineyards will have to be state licenced to grow grapes, licenced to apply fertlizer, licenced to apply bug spray. Only approved type grapes will be grown, and of course you will need a licence to plant these grapes.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Even the sacred cow in India will have to have a licenced and stateapproved device fitted to the south end of the cow.
smiley2.gif
Tomy Edited by: Tomy

Tomy, the time you speak of in the near future is already happening at least to a degree.

Vineyards do need to be licensed to grow certain varieties of grapes-they are called plant patents and royalties. Even if you take cuttings from such varieties and grow you own, you are supposed to send the patent holder their fee of from 25 cents to $1.50 per vine.

Licensed to apply fertilizer- maybe not quite, but you do need to register certain fertilizers if you handle over a certain amount per year(example-ammonium nitrate).

Licensed to apply sprays- absolutely- this is regulated by the Federal government and implemented at state level.

Fitted cows- not quite, but there are such devices under development and the larger farms are regulated in the types of manure storage and handling and are responsible for spills.

I don't want tomake this topic political, but I just want to let you know what you probably see as humorous, this countries farmers have to deal with every day.

Thanks Appleman, yes I am aware of these things, as I live in a farming community, and they are no laughing matter to farmers &amp; vinyards that have to fight a uphill battle every year with mother nature &amp; the federal/state/county/govermnent. On another note as I seem to watch TV after every one is in bed, I cought the programs last night "Before Dino" (the Dinosaurs) on the History Channel. They actually grew a dinosaur tail on a embro chicken, and also grew teeth. Tomy

Tomy , was it a rooster or a hen ?I was attacked by a rooster once but itwasn't a hybrid like that one .
smiley36.gif
Sorryfolks for poking fun and getting off subject.

Nobody seems to realize that the CO2 in the sugar that is released by the yeast was atmospheric CO2 to start with. So is the carbon in the branches and leaves of the grape vines. Virtually all carbon in plants comes from atmospheric CO2. At worst, the wine industry is CO2 neutral.

Why don't people use their heads?

Now Peter don't get all out of sorts. People all over the world use their heads, just not many their brains!
smiley36.gif

It's amazing how many people just don't understand all the life processes going on constantly in the world.

Latest posts

Back